5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Weird safety chain hook

CaffGeek

Reaction score
My trailer has these weird safety chain hooks, I don't know how to use them, and feeding this through the hitch is difficult (mainly because of the extra link)

I've considered cutting them off, and just using an S hook or quick link, but I am curious how these are supposed to work 1683563328630.png

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Those are strange - looks to me like maybe just designed for the open hook on the end to be in the loops on either side of your receiver - best with the open side of the hook facing the trailer. I've seen other tow chain hooks with a rubber piece that slides over to the bottom of the hook and then 'clips' across the opening to the top of the hook once in position to help holds it in place. 1683573648138.png

Last edited:

CaffGeek

Reaction score
Those are strange - looks to me like maybe just designed for the open hook on the end to be in the loops on either side of your receiver - best with the open side of the hook facing the trailer. I've seen other tow chain hooks with a rubber piece that slides over to the bottom of the hook and then 'clips' across the opening to the top of the hook once in position to help hols it in place.
The hooks would never hold like an s-hook, they're quite small,

Loudram

Reaction score
I agree, replace the chains with a new set. Safety is the one area where you don't want to cheap out.

Einstein376

Reaction score
After going through the loop, the end doubles back and hooks in a link on the same chain. These are used a lot, but I have not seen one used for a safety chain before.

Jim

Users who are viewing this thread