5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Weigh Safe WDH - Drop length on a 1500?

Andymax

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
We've got a CCSB and are considering a Weigh Safe hitch...any folks have this setup and can advise which drop length you chose? Seems to calculate out to the 6" drop, but I'm wondering if you've found that to be too low. What are your thoughts?

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I don't have any input on the drop length, but would definitely be interested in your thoughts on the Weigh Safe if you go with one. It was one of the hitches we considered before we went with ProPride. I really liked the idea of the built-in scale with how much we move around and the fluctuations in how we're loaded.

Andymax

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I don't have any input on the drop length, but would definitely be interested in your thoughts on the Weigh Safe if you go with one. It was one of the hitches we considered before we went with ProPride. I really liked the idea of the built-in scale with how much we move around and the fluctuations in how we're loaded.
I'll keep you posted if we go this route. We are also considering going a different route on the TT...now considering Rockwood 2205S instead of the Terra. We are going to be doing trips of between 1-3 weeks at a time for the next few years, maybe a few long weekends in there too so we are reconsidering our budget and the 2205S checks a LOT of the boxes, but we give up a few too. When we do the old cost-per-check box analysis the Rockwood stands out. It feels weird to say but I'm actually mourning the loss of the Intech...we like that trailer so much.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'll keep you posted if we go this route. We are also considering going a different route on the TT...now considering Rockwood 2205S instead of the Terra. We are going to be doing trips of between 1-3 weeks at a time for the next few years, maybe a few long weekends in there too so we are reconsidering our budget and the 2205S checks a LOT of the boxes, but we give up a few too. When we do the old cost-per-check box analysis the Rockwood stands out. It feels weird to say but I'm actually mourning the loss of the Intech...we like that trailer so much.
Looks like a nice floorplan. I'd be lying if I said I won't be jealous of the theater seating. I've been thinking about how I could modify our dinette for theater seats, or at least something a little more "loungy."

There's no law saying you can't start in something else and get in an inTech down the road. I keep hoping they'll come out with some new Terra floorplans or maybe a 5th wheel.

Keep me posted and keep an eye on where we are. I'd be happy to show you what you're missing in the Terra. Too soon? :LOL:

Andymax

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Looks like a nice floorplan. I'd be lying if I said I won't be jealous of the theater seating. I've been thinking about how I could modify our dinette for theater seats, or at least something a little more "loungy."
Yeah, we both prefer the recliner seating idea over the dinette...especially in the Rockwood
There's no law saying you can't start in something else and get in an inTech down the road. I keep hoping they'll come out with some new Terra floorplans or maybe a 5th wheel.
that's what we're thinking...this gives us time to decide if we want to be a bit more full time after retirement, at which point we'd look into something a bit more 'luxury'. And yeah I get your point about alternate floorplans for sure.
Keep me posted and keep an eye on where we are. I'd be happy to show you what you're missing in the Terra. Too soon? :LOL:
I will! Keep posting those amazing pictures. They're inspiring us!

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, we both prefer the recliner seating idea over the dinette...especially in the Rockwood

that's what we're thinking...this gives us time to decide if we want to be a bit more full time after retirement, at which point we'd look into something a bit more 'luxury'. And yeah I get your point about alternate floorplans for sure.

I will! Keep posting those amazing pictures. They're inspiring us!
The Grand Design 2670MK was high on our list. We really liked that floorplan and probably would've been happy with it. Ultimately we decided to start smaller just in case we didn't want to go full time, and we ended up in the Horizon.

Loudram

Reaction score
We've got a CCSB and are considering a Weigh Safe hitch...any folks have this setup and can advise which drop length you chose? Seems to calculate out to the 6" drop, but I'm wondering if you've found that to be too low. What are your thoughts?
I have a Weigh Safe True Tow and I'm using the 6" drop. My truck is stock height.

20230411_135120.jpg

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score

You can always choose a set of holes with less drop, and 6" isn't enough to hit the ground in most situations.

But I think I would use Weigh Safe to measure and adjust load, not for actual towing. It seems to me that the constant bouncing and jarring of a road trip will be very hard on the hydraulics and gauge in the Weigh Safe, so I would just use it for preparation, then swap in a solid hitch for the trip. Maybe that's just me, but Weigh Safe would not be my mainstay, nor the only tool in the box.

Loudram

Reaction score
You can always choose a set of holes with less drop, and 6" isn't enough to hit the ground in most situations.

But I think I would use Weigh Safe to measure and adjust load, not for actual towing. It seems to me that the constant bouncing and jarring of a road trip will be very hard on the hydraulics and gauge in the Weigh Safe, so I would just use it for preparation, then swap in a solid hitch for the trip. Maybe that's just me, but Weigh Safe would not be my mainstay, nor the only tool in the box.
The Weigh Safe True Tow is a weight distribution and anti sway hitch combination. You can't set the weight distribution and not use the hitch. It doesn't work like that. If he is talking about a plain weigh safe hitch then maybe I could see your point but I think he's talking about the True Tow WD hitch because he mentions that he's looking at a 24' travel trailer.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The Weigh Safe True Tow is a weight distribution and anti sway hitch combination. You can't set the weight distribution and not use the hitch. It doesn't work like that. If he is talking about a plain weigh safe hitch then maybe I could see your point but I think he's talking about the True Tow WD hitch because he mentions that he's looking at a 24' travel trailer.

Ah, that could be ... OP didn't specify. True Tow moves the pivot even farther back away from the vehicle, making things worse. I wasn't considering it at all.

Andymax

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, I was talking about the full WDH True Tow....sorry, I should have clarified that. Thanks for the info!!

Users who are viewing this thread