5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WDH Setup

turbojimmy

Reaction score
My trusty '05 GMC Sierra kicked the bucket a couple of months ago (unfortunately while towing my camper home from a trip). I replaced it with a '22 Bighorn, 5.7 eTorque, quad-cab, 6.4' bed. I tow a Bullet 220RBI "ultra-lite" - 4,600 lbs. dry; 6,400 lbs. GVWR. Tongue weight is around 800 lbs. loaded (per the previous owner who had a tongue scale).

The GMC unloaded sat level. I set up the WDH hitch per the instructions by measuring the distance from the wheel openings to the ground and got it pretty close to level with the trailer hooked up. It towed nice. I never even felt like I needed the anti-sway bar. The RAM has a slightly shorter wheelbase (3-inches), so I'll have to see how it feels before I decide whether to use the anti-sway bar. But that's not my question.

The question is - the RAM has a rake to it. I may be overthinking it, but should I set the WDH hitch up so that the truck is level with the trailer hooked up, or with the rake (the WDH instructions would suggest the rake, given the goal of getting the distance from the wheel wells to the ground the same as when unloaded)?

TheBobs

Reaction score
Keep the factory rake. The headlights will remain oriented toward the pavement instead of oncoming vehicles’ windshields. You’ll also maintain the appropriate travel in the rear suspension by maintaining the rake.

Which WDH do you have?

Bob

irishwake63

Reaction score
either way the camper needs to be level unless you have airbags you are going to have an issue maintaining rake with 800 lbs on your hitch I have a 30 foot with 750 lbs on the hitch

turbojimmy

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. The WDH hitch is a cheap Husky brand, but works well.

Long story longer, the GMC failed (transmission) coming home from a camping trip. For logistics reasons, I had the truck towed to my house and the camper towed to my parents' house about 5-miles away. After I bought the RAM, I towed the camper home without the WDH. It barely squatted at all. I was pretty surprised, but I also didn't have any camping gear in the bed of the truck and I had already emptied the camper. I'm thinking/hoping that fully loaded, I can get the WDH set up to maintain the rake.

Users who are viewing this thread