5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Watch outs when buying used Ram 1500

RamTruckster

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I am new to the forum and have narrowed my online search for an used 2020 Ram Rebel 1500 to 3 trucks near my area. I will be checking them out tomorrow and wanted to tap into the collective experience on this forum. What are some of the quality issues that I should check? I will have the truck checked out by a mechanic but, are there any know issues that I should watch out for that will not show up on a multi point inspection or during a test drive?

Few details on the trucks (all 3 are the same except the difference in color and mileage - couple of thousand miles give or take, 13000 - 15000 miles)
Model year - 2020
Engine - 5.7L V8 HEMI VVT eTorque
Package - Level 2, Black leather, trailer brake control, Customer Preferred Package 27W, rear wheelhouse liners, spray in bedliner and blindspot monitoring.

Quickly glancing through the forum I came across the water leaks due to rear window cracks and third brake light. Any other such issues that I can look for when I check the trucks out.

Regards,
RT.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Cracked rear window frame just above the sliding window area is the most widespread issue I’ve seen.

Cracked exhaust manifolds on the hemi or manifold bolts.

RamTruckster

Reaction score
Thank you for the replies Sascwatch and IvoryHemi!

@IvoryHemi - The title and vehicle history look clean (based on Carfax - single owners, no accidents etc.,) and the trucks were originally purchased in adjacent states. Will be checking on the paintwork.

Regards,
RT.

Mike_WI

Reaction score
Check the car fax! Steer clear of vehicles that were leased when new in Canada. I got bit by that with my last Sierra, it looks like it was purchased new in Canada then spent the first 2 years of it's life as a plow truck. The rust underneath it was legendary. Front end suspension parts totally shot @ 65K miles. I have no issues with the folks in Canada, for the record. Perfectly nice people. But the reach of Carfax ends at the Canadian border. Didn't seem like a big deal at the time of purchase. In hindsight, it was a huge mistake on my part.

Also, take the vehicle to an independent mechanic that YOU trust.....(not at the dealership) Don't take their word on anything. Pay your mechanic of choice a hundred bucks to look it over on the rack and get their opinion on it PRIOR to purchasing. The salesman at the RAM dealership will NOT have your best interests in mind, no matter what they tell you, or how much they'll want to make you feel rushed to buy it, or how many other people are supposedly looking at the same truck you are.

If anything, I'd look for a private seller for a used truck in the future. The private seller will get more for it buy selling it to you versus trading it in, and you'll get it for less probably than after the dealer gets a hold of it and marks it up 5 grand. But the same rules apply....once you think you found "the one" take an afternoon to get it looked over by a reputable mechanic. A few hundred bucks at the time for the inspection could save you countless days of regrets and thousands in unforeseen repairs down the road.

People seem to think that used cars are vigorously inspected and come with some bomb-proof warranty because they bought it from a dealership. 9 times outta ten, that's simply not the case.

Last edited:

HydroRebel

Reaction score
2020 Ram Rebel here. I've had issues with the remote start, not sure if that's something you care about. Still trying to zone in on the exact cause. I only use the remote start in the cold and it's been hit or miss (one day it starts ok the next day it doesn't). It looked like a battery issue as I was always below 12V when I checked with a meter so I changed the stock battery to an Odyssey and that never solved the problem. I did find an intermittent parasitic drain. Apparently the modules in these trucks are famous for not always going to sleep when they should.

I also have this weird squeak going over bumps. There's a thread about it where certain people say its the anti-rattle clips on the calipers and spraying them with lubricant takes care of it. This never worked for me and it looks like me and another person have the same squeak issue and I'm still trying to figure out what's causing it. It is very annoying and embarrassing when I have someone else in with me.

Regarding the 3rd brake light leaking, I haven't experienced this on my Rebel or my 14' Ram sport though I did have an 08 Tundra that leaked through the 3rd brake light. This is a pretty common problem on any vehicle with a 3rd brake light. There's plenty of ways to remedy it but I just used some clear silicon on my Tundra and that stopped it from leaking. I personally wouldn't let this be a deciding factor for buying a Ram.

I'll also throw it out there that people complain about the AC on these trucks all the time (perhaps you came across this already). I can personally deal with that. My AC works it just takes a lot longer to get the truck cooler than my 4th gen. Do I wish the AC was better? Yes I do and I'm wondering how they can take a step backwards regarding AC performance.

I've had several dealership issues this time around as well. I do love my truck despite the issues. It's a comfortable truck to drive around town or the highway but as someone who owned a flawless 4th gen I'm not very happy with the overall experience this time around, mostly dealership related. All vehicle makers have their issues that's for sure so take your time and inspect it well and certainly test drive it and listen for any weird noises, etc. If you can get one with no issues I can almost guarantee you will be happy with it.

Johnny5

Reaction score
I'd mainly look over Carfax and make sure it wasn't anywhere north of VA for rust issues as Mike mentioned. I read a few things about etorque batteries but I'm not sure how widespread it is. And if you're looking at any Ivory I'd go over the paint pretty good. I have a darker hint of red in a spot on my hood which almost looks sort of splattered under the clear coat as well as hints of red tint on the fenders. I'm not sure if it's common but I just noticed it the other day after washing it for the first time...

AmericanRebelution

Reaction score
I'd mainly look over Carfax and make sure it wasn't anywhere north of VA for rust issues as Mike mentioned. I read a few things about etorque batteries but I'm not sure how widespread it is. And if you're looking at any Ivory I'd go over the paint pretty good. I have a darker hint of red in a spot on my hood which almost looks sort of splattered under the clear coat as well as hints of red tint on the fenders. I'm not sure if it's common but I just noticed it the other day after washing it for the first time...
Are you sure this is under the clear coat? Could be iron staining. If so, there are products that will help remove this. This can happen during railroad transport.

RamTruckster

Reaction score
Thanks a lot guys! Great inputs!

I went in a got a Billet Silver 2020 Ram Rebel. Dealership said I could have it for a day and so took it to a mechanic I trust and got it inspected it. He gave a clean bill and then just drove it around (freeway, back roads etc.,) and didnt hear the rattles or squeaks. Since it was a 2020, I didnt get any additional warranties. Will decide towards the end of the factory warranty period, if at all needed.

@HydroRebel - I noticed the A/C taking a little while but coming from a sedan, I just attributed it to the shear cabin size!

Regards,
RT.

Johnny5

Reaction score
Congrats on the Rebel RT.

@AmericanRebelution Thanks! It seemed like it was under the clear coat but if it's staining I probably wouldn't be able to feel it. I'll grab some iron remover and see how it works out. Preciate the tip.

Users who are viewing this thread