5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Washing the engine

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
With more than a little nervousness, I washed the engine in my 2013 Mazda 3. I sprayed Gunk Foamy Engine Bright Cleaner, let it sit according to the instructions, then put my hose nozzle on "Gentle Shower" and moved it around quickly, trying to not spray directly onto anything, but sort of let the water fall onto the engine. I left the hood open in the sun for a while and it later cranked and ran just fine. And it did clean things up a bit (though my engine was not too dirty to begin with.)

So, has anyone done this with their EcoDiesel? I don't know that it would be different, but there's a much higher risk/reward basis than with my 11 year old, 130,000 mile Mazda and I don't want to mess anything up.

66Fuelie

Reaction score
I use simple green on my regularly since new.
Never a problem.
Tom

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
If you are really nervous just use a leaf blower when you are done to dry and let sit overnight to dry just in case you are worried.
Just don't use a pressure washer and you should be fine.

Things will get dirty, I typically juse use like Windex on paper towels or real towels as spraying it will just push the dirt and oil around anyways.

Geddyflea

Reaction score
I use an old dealer trick. Spray foaming Armor All (or similar) tire cleaner / dressing on everything and let it drip off to clean off the dirt, then wipe down with a rag. It also works on wheel wells. Just spray it on but dont wipe them down. It sounds crazy but absolutely works!

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I use an old dealer trick. Spray foaming Armor All (or similar) tire cleaner / dressing on everything and let it drip off to clean off the dirt, then wipe down with a rag. It also works on wheel wells. Just spray it on but dont wipe them down. It sounds crazy but absolutely works!
It works for cars sitting in dealer lots trying to be sold. But long term that crap will attract dirt and turn the plastics brown. Use a proper cleaner and detailing spray

Geddyflea

Reaction score
It works for cars sitting in dealer lots trying to be sold. But long term that crap will attract dirt and turn the plastics brown. Use a proper cleaner and detailing spray
It's got to be wiped down, not left sitting on the motor. I've done this for years and NEVER seen anything under the hood or in the wheel wells turn brown. All motors will get dusty after you've driven the vehicle for any length of time at all.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
It's got to be wiped down, not left sitting on the motor. I've done this for years and NEVER seen anything under the hood or in the wheel wells turn brown. All motors will get dusty after you've driven the vehicle for any length of time at all.

It works great in the wheel wells. Like you said, just spray it on and wipe it off. It leaves a nice matte finish.

Threesuns1

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm not much of a detailer so I treated my Ram to a detailer near me in Forest Hill, MD last summer that did a great job on the exterior and engine bay.

Attachments

• 20230826_120027.jpg
    20230826_120027.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 40
  • 20230826_120031.jpg
    20230826_120031.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 38
  • 20230826_120039.jpg
    20230826_120039.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 39
  • 20230826_120121.jpg
    20230826_120121.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 40

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I do t have an eco-diesel, but washing the engine bay isn't something you need to take huge precautions with. The entire engine bay is designed to be weather proof and water resistant. All connectors are sealed. Use whatever cleaner you want, then spray away with water. I even use a pressure washer on mine. Granted I'm not hitting it too close with the wand.

You'd be shocked to see how I cleaned up this.
PXL_20220611_210435815.jpg

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks all. The wipe solution won't work for me as there is no way I could reach the lower parts of the engine. Unless i went from below I guess.

It's mostly dust and some dirt. Fortunately no grease or anything more challenging.

Users who are viewing this thread