5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Warning - Mopar Power Running Boards on 2020 incompatability!

SAURKRT

Reaction score
I had the dealer order power running boards to install on my 2020 Laramie. I couldn't order them installed from the factory because they "require" the E-Torque motor which I refuse.

They ordered them from MOPAR, for a 2020. Installed them and were able to make them work using an external power source but couldn't add it to the UConnect control. After a few calls to FCA they were told they are not compatible with the 20s...

???

Looks like I will probably be going with the AMP Research ones.

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have to wonder what is different from the 19-20 that would prevent these from working ? I went with Amp because I’ve always had good luck with them.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I had the dealer order power running boards to install on my 2020 Laramie. I couldn't order them installed from the factory because they "require" the E-Torque motor which I refuse.

They ordered them from MOPAR, for a 2020. Installed them and were able to make them work using an external power source but couldn't add it to the UConnect control. After a few calls to FCA they were told they are not compatible with the 20s...

???

Looks like I will probably be going with the AMP Research ones.
This just makes no sense. I'm not sure if it's a part number error or lack of knowledge by the dealer...but something seems off.

SAURKRT

Reaction score
This just makes no sense. I'm not sure if it's a part number error or lack of knowledge by the dealer...but something seems off.

I agree it makes no sense. Not to me anyways. But maybe there's a reason you have to get the E-Torque motor in order get them. From the owner's manual you can control them through the touchscreen, so there is obviously computer control involved and maybe that module is just not on my truck.

Then I went to order the AMP ones from GotExhaust and they said that AMP doesn't have a listing for the 2020s yet... Again, not sure if/what the difference is.

Whtscorpion

Reaction score
I have a 2020 1500 Ecodiesel Big Horn with the 8.4 screen. At the dealer and could not get the factory ones installed. This was after contacting the FCA customer support to verify that the 2019 part number above would work. They said it would. Evidently, there was something already plugged into the control module slot where the boards were supposed to be connected and flashed. They have no clue what is plugged in there. Dealer is offering a workaround for now meaning they will operate with the door but not work with the UConnect. At this point they will work the same as the AMP Researched ones so what the heck. Tired of the kids struggling to get in the truck.

I am getting disappointed in the accessory availability for the 2020. Can't get a trailer brake until November, all weather mats were 2019 part number (glad the service guy knew they would fit), and now this B.S. I will keep an eye out and see what changed if they release a 2020 system. Sure it will be a part I can install later to fix it HA!

Reverse

Reaction score
Maybe they made E-torque required because the truck's systems are powered from the 48V battery in that case? Engineers have stated that just running regular systems off the standard 12V battery puts quite a draw on it, and the large battery helps out with that.

hellmans

Reaction score
i have 20 rebel ...installed powered boards myself..the directions are wrong for 12volt connection at pdc,,u need to pull up wiring diagram and find correct connector and pin location ,,,,,they will work

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread