5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Warn 10k vs 12k Winch Differences

eTorqueCoasting

Reaction score
Looking at getting a Warn winch and a Vice or Swarf mount. Pretty sure I want synthetic rope. Was definitely sure I wanted/needed the 12k vs 10k, but noticed a 20' difference in rope length, with the smaller winch having the longer rope. Anyone have any idea why?

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
Looking at getting a Warn winch and a Vice or Swarf mount. Pretty sure I want synthetic rope. Was definitely sure I wanted/needed the 12k vs 10k, but noticed a 20' difference in rope length, with the smaller winch having the longer rope. Anyone have any idea why?
Probably thicker rope on the stronger model.

eTorqueCoasting

Reaction score
I think both were ⅜" rope. I'd wondered if it was drum sized. I'm now wondering if it's a cost thing. If so, could I buy a longer rope for the 12k?

Last edited:

mdschadler

Reaction score
Longer ropes aren’t necessarily better. The longer the rope, the more you need to pay out to get to rated line pull. Just something to keep in mind.

I35it

Reaction score
the 10k should be fine. You can always use a snatch block. Carry a tow strap as it can help with length if needed.

Users who are viewing this thread