5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Very light cutting and polishing time table

suln

Reaction score
Just got all my supplies in for my detailing journey. But i have a few questions:
First off, does anyone have input or experience using Pinnacle Advanced Swirl Remover? And Chemical Guys Blacklight? My truck only has 750 miles but from the dealer the paint when I shine a close light, has some swirls.

Secondly, can I wash the truck, but clay & polish only a section? For example: I wash the entire truck. Then I only want to clay and polish my hood or my tailgate. Is it worth it to do that? Or should I only start when i can complete the entire vehicle in 1 day?

cervelo15

Reaction score
Just got all my supplies in for my detailing journey. But i have a few questions:
First off, does anyone have input or experience using Pinnacle Advanced Swirl Remover? And Chemical Guys Blacklight? My truck only has 750 miles but from the dealer the paint when I shine a close light, has some swirls.

Secondly, can I wash the truck, but clay & polish only a section? For example: I wash the entire truck. Then I only want to clay and polish my hood or my tailgate. Is it worth it to do that? Or should I only start when i can complete the entire vehicle in 1 day?
I can provide input for the second question. My two cents is wait until you have a day or weekend to do the entire truck. The way I see it, you’re only pushing off the other panels or parts of the truck to another time. Use different methods to be more efficient like using a foam cannon to pre-soak or a blower to dry the car. Both cut down on your wash and dry time. We re coming into the pollen season, so the panel you just polished would be covered with contaminants in just one drive.

I’ll say even when I was getting started in detailing as a hobby, I’d set aside an entire weekend to detail the truck. I’m also stages deep in OCD, so I spend a little more time on someting that doesn’t need it. But the message is if you’re organized and do your homework, you can have great results in a weekend.

Goldsy

Reaction score
I agree, wait until you can clay the whole thing, over a weekend or whatever, just to avoid pushing contaminates from one panel to another.

I don't have any experience with Pinnacle Advanced Swirl Remover, so I can't speak to that. I like Meguiars 205 for very light polishing. Chemical Guys VSS is a really good one too if you need a little extra cut. It's a diminishing polish, so the abrasives get smaller the more you polish, to give you a good clean shine. Do you have a DA polisher? Worth the investment for the time savings alone.

As for Chemical Guys Blacklight, It looks really good, but doesn't last long in my experience (none of the Chemical guys stuff does except for maybe Jetseal). Sio2 is where it's at these days. If you don;t want to do a full ceramic coating, there are some good spray on hybrid ceramics out there. (Meguiars hybrid ceramic, Turtle wax hybrid solutions, Mothers CMX to name a few) If you want to stick with a traditional paint sealant, look no further than Jescar Powerlock plus. In my 20+ years of auto detailing, I have yet to find a sealant that holds up as long as this stuff. It doesn't give the same level of shine as a ceramic, but you can top it with a good carnauba wax to get that shine if that's what you desire.

suln

Reaction score
I agree, wait until you can clay the whole thing, over a weekend or whatever, just to avoid pushing contaminates from one panel to another.

I don't have any experience with Pinnacle Advanced Swirl Remover, so I can't speak to that. I like Meguiars 205 for very light polishing. Chemical Guys VSS is a really good one too if you need a little extra cut. It's a diminishing polish, so the abrasives get smaller the more you polish, to give you a good clean shine. Do you have a DA polisher? Worth the investment for the time savings alone.

As for Chemical Guys Blacklight, It looks really good, but doesn't last long in my experience (none of the Chemical guys stuff does except for maybe Jetseal). Sio2 is where it's at these days. If you don;t want to do a full ceramic coating, there are some good spray on hybrid ceramics out there. (Meguiars hybrid ceramic, Turtle wax hybrid solutions, Mothers CMX to name a few) If you want to stick with a traditional paint sealant, look no further than Jescar Powerlock plus. In my 20+ years of auto detailing, I have yet to find a sealant that holds up as long as this stuff. It doesn't give the same level of shine as a ceramic, but you can top it with a good carnauba wax to get that shine if that's what you desire.
Thanks for the response, I do have a DA polisher, and i also have Hybrid Solutions Spray Ceramic. I planned on wash, clay, Pinnacle (with deminishing abrasives), then either Hybrid, then blacklight? Or vice versa?
also i need to get a leaf blower to dry, that would help a bunch

suln

Reaction score
I can provide input for the second question. My two cents is wait until you have a day or weekend to do the entire truck. The way I see it, you’re only pushing off the other panels or parts of the truck to another time. Use different methods to be more efficient like using a foam cannon to pre-soak or a blower to dry the car. Both cut down on your wash and dry time. We re coming into the pollen season, so the panel you just polished would be covered with contaminants in just one drive.

I’ll say even when I was getting started in detailing as a hobby, I’d set aside an entire weekend to detail the truck. I’m also stages deep in OCD, so I spend a little more time on someting that doesn’t need it. But the message is if you’re organized and do your homework, you can have great results in a weekend.
Yea i need a leaf blower to dry that would help immensely. And i will just wait and detail it fully. Its just i dont have covered parking ir a car cover. So it has to be a 1 afternoon thing

Goldsy

Reaction score
Thanks for the response, I do have a DA polisher, and i also have Hybrid Solutions Spray Ceramic. I planned on wash, clay, Pinnacle (with deminishing abrasives), then either Hybrid, then blacklight? Or vice versa?
also i need to get a leaf blower to dry, that would help a bunch
Blacklight and hybrid solutions are both sealants. The upside of blacklight is that's it's a glaze as well, so it will hide any imperfections you may miss. Use one or the other, the blacklight won't stick to the sio2 in the hybrid solutions very well and will fail rather quickly. I'd also recommend a chemical decon before the clay, with a product like Carpro IronX, or some other fallout remover to remove any imbedded metals, like brake and rail dust.

suln

Reaction score

Yea i need a leaf blower to dry that would help immensely. And i will just wait and detail it fully. Its just i dont have covered parking ir a car cover. So it has to be a 1 afternoon thing
Blacklight and hybrid solutions are both sealants. The upside of blacklight is that's it's a glaze as well, so it will hide any imperfections you may miss. Use one or the other, the blacklight won't stick to the sio2 in the hybrid solutions very well and will fail rather quickly. I'd also recommend a chemical decon before the clay, with a product like Carpro IronX, or some other fallout remover to remove any imbedded metals, like brake and rail dust.
i purchased Adams Iron remover a few weeks back as well. I would use that before clay. So i will try the Blacklight just to see how it goes no Hybrid Solutions

Users who are viewing this thread