5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Various UConnect Errors

ihellion

Reaction score
Hi all - I've trolled the forums since October, right before I bought my 2022 Ram 1500 Limited Ecodiesel.

Less than a month after I bought the truck, I got my first UConnect error "charging system failure". At first just on the app, then on the uconnect screen. It came and went. Then I got the battery error, and eventually a unconnect box error.

In December I got the OTA update to 26.17, from 24.13. I was excited and hopeful that would solve the issue. It did not.

Then, about a week later my trial for the Ram app was expiring. I decided to renew, because there are certain times/places where I have a long walk and it's perfect for an extended warm up. I can also be a little scatter brained combined with paranoid, and being able to lock my doors remotely is a nice peace of mind. Anyway, as soon as I subscribed to the service and got off the trail, all errors went a way. 1.5 months later, and no errors yet - knock on wood.

Thought I would come on and throw up my experience in case it helps anyone else. Now if they'd just add diesel back to the damn gas prices... :mad:

Littlejoe81

Reaction score
I have the u-connect 8.4 small screen, I mostly listen to my engine when I drive, It has glitched a few times and I have done a hard reset, I received a recall for the back up camera software update but refuse to let the dealership touch my vehicle, it glitched one time but I don't mind I always turn my head anyway and software updates can cause issues too! Example, (I phones).... now a persons battery dies quicker after the update but before their were no issues. We need to get to the bottom of these radio issues. I have been working Boeing 787 aircraft since they entered into service, in the beginning their were many issues with various systems of the aircraft, this was fixed by us uploading software which was weird to me. Now not as many problems as in the beginning and software is uploaded through a ground network and via satellite as well. What I'm saying is all old stuff like fridges, 90's cars, washing machines never had these issues. Introducing intricate electronic systems can create issues if not supported by the manufacturers; this causes issues, upset customers, premature failures, and total losses. Software causes correct or incorrect communication with various controllers, modules, systems, and the canbus network within the vehicle. On aircraft we have various systems and components that have shielded wiring that is necessary to protect the unit and from voltage/ lightning strikes as well. If damaged, their is no protection and components can become damaged; we also have fiber optics but that's another story! I have ebay metro pcs phones, always my wife and people with I phones have issues, need software updates and older phones get no support, no thanks. I'm happy with my simple cheap android. Back in the day GM had issues with their radio/ onstar navigation system and many customers were forced to pay$$$ for new radios due to bad shielding damaging the unit. I've been out of the field as a auto tech for 15 years and its so different with electronics and the canbus network as every module reports to each other in order to operate correctly, if one unit reports back a incorrect address/module/info, it is kicked out of the house because they are seen as a criminal or stranger. This is the same in agriculture farming equipment and semi's as well as I have learned from my diesel/heavy equipment school... every module reports to the network!! Technicians can not be parts changers robbing customers for their money only for them to return with the same broken issue, it takes skill, proper diagnosing, listening to the customer, getting proper support from the manufacturers and manufacturers building quality parts.... for example I changed so many internet wifi antennas on top of this 787 aircraft due to failure of units from the manufacturer. I just hope dealers aren't charging customers for something not caused by them or out of their control. Technicians do damage as well by carelessness for example forgetting to attach the grounding wire to a unit or making sure the resistance is within limits using a bonding or similar resistance meter (not wearing a electro static discharge strap) when handling units or circuit boards... this is critical and was the same when I volunteered as a biomedical technician in hospitals. Shipping and parts must handle things carefully too... a dropped box can be a radio installed into a customer's vehicle only to fail!

Attachments

• 20201013_030114-1.jpg
    20201013_030114-1.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 11
  • 20201013_055639.jpg
    20201013_055639.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 12
  • 20201013_054725.jpg
    20201013_054725.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 11
  • 20211016_063143-1.jpg
    20211016_063143-1.jpg