5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Vanity Plate Frame

KWKSLVR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So, I'm not quite sure where to put this so my apologies if this is the wrong forum. I have a very old cast iron vanity place that is painted and probably about 1/4" thick. It was given to my dad by a rep at a local steel company many decades ago and I found it recently a few years after he's passed away. Anyway, I like it and I think it'd look retro and cool on my new Ram....if it ever comes ;)

Does anyone know of a Vanity Plate holder that I can put on these trucks that has some kind of locking mechanism? Here's the big kicker, this plate is solid, it does NOT have holes drilled into it for screws, so basically I need a holder I can slide this thing into and preferably lock to keep safe from falling out/theft.

AMS Guru

AMS Guru, Ram Guru-ish
Reaction score
So, I'm not quite sure where to put this so my apologies if this is the wrong forum. I have a very old cast iron vanity place that is painted and probably about 1/4" thick. It was given to my dad by a rep at a local steel company many decades ago and I found it recently a few years after he's passed away. Anyway, I like it and I think it'd look retro and cool on my new Ram....if it ever comes ;)

Does anyone know of a Vanity Plate holder that I can put on these trucks that has some kind of locking mechanism? Here's the big kicker, this plate is solid, it does NOT have holes drilled into it for screws, so basically I need a holder I can slide this thing into and preferably lock to keep safe from falling out/theft.
Pics?

Dragonmaster13

Reaction score
You’d probably have issues with any sort of thick frame contacting the tailgate when dropped. There’s about an 1/8” or less of clearance with the cheap plastic frames dealers give you and many of those contact the tailgate when dropped and cause paint damage. Best check carefully before using.

KWKSLVR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I forgot to snap one last night.
You’d probably have issues with any sort of thick frame contacting the tailgate when dropped. There’s about an 1/8” or less of clearance with the cheap plastic frames dealers give you and many of those contact the tailgate when dropped and cause paint damage. Best check carefully before using.
This would be for the front of the truck.

KWKSLVR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Man I'm lame. I took photos and completely forgot to post them.

Attachments

• PXL_20211015_210055404.MP.jpg
    PXL_20211015_210055404.MP.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 45
  • PXL_20211015_210059333.MP.jpg
    PXL_20211015_210059333.MP.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 46
  • PXL_20211015_210115835.MP.jpg
    PXL_20211015_210115835.MP.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 45

AMS Guru

AMS Guru, Ram Guru-ish
Reaction score
Man I'm lame. I took photos and completely forgot to post them.
Hey THAT'S cool!! Not sure how you securely mount that without drilling holes. A custom molding shop could probably make a replica and/or 3d scan it and make it from poly with 3d printer. Then you could drill holes for proper mounting without damaging the original

KWKSLVR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The crazy thing is that I remember it being on the front of my dad's old beat up Chevy truck (year beats me). My hunt for something is going to continue. I do like the idea of a copy, but I also think it's gotta have the right material's look.

Users who are viewing this thread