5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Vacuum Pump

Reaction score
I purchased a 2020 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7 hemi back in May of 2020. I am having issues with the vacuum pump coming on and off and draining my battery. The dealership told me that the battery will not be covered. They wanted me to okay for a battery at almost 500 dollars. They will let it sit over the weekend to see if that new battery will be drained. I am not paying for that battery if it drains it by Monday. I told them what destroyed my battery and they wouldn’t listen. Does anyone have any advice or has anyone on here had this problem before.

I purchased a 2020 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7 hemi back in May of 2020. I am having issues with the vacuum pump coming on and off and draining my battery. The dealership told me that the battery will not be covered. They wanted me to okay for a battery at almost 500 dollars. They will let it sit over the weekend to see if that new battery will be drained. I am not paying for that battery if it drains it by Monday. I told them what destroyed my battery and they wouldn’t listen. Does anyone have any advice or has anyone on here had this problem before.
Got any details on the truck? I’m thinking you are referring to an air ride compressor?

Got any details on the truck? I’m thinking you are referring to an air ride compressor?
This doesn’t have air ride compressor it is saying brake vacuum pump or vacuum pump pic below

Attachments

• IMG_0699.jpeg
    IMG_0699.jpeg
    20.8 KB · Views: 26

Yes there may be a vacuum pump. I guess it's there as a backup, so that you still have brakes under wide open throttle or if the engine decides to shut down while you are still moving.

I don't know how you determined its cycling is the cause of your battery drain, but if you are correct you may already be brighter than the techs you're paying to work on it.

Having said that, I don't have a lot of specifics to offer, but one guess might be that the module controlling the vacuum pump is not going into (or not staying in) its low power sleep mode when the vehicle is off. I don't have good guesses what might cause that, anything that keeps data happening on the comm buses is suspect. Even things as innocent sounding as leaving the key fob in the vehicle are alleged to have caused battery drain problems. Or a control module might be defective by itself.

Yes there may be a vacuum pump. I guess it's there as a backup, so that you still have brakes under wide open throttle or if the engine decides to shut down while you are still moving.

I don't know how you determined its cycling is the cause of your battery drain, but if you are correct you may already be brighter than the techs you're paying to work on it.

Having said that, I don't have a lot of specifics to offer, but one guess might be that the module controlling the vacuum pump is not going into (or not staying in) its low power sleep mode when the vehicle is off. I don't have good guesses what might cause that, anything that keeps data happening on the comm buses is suspect. Even things as innocent sounding as leaving the key fob in the vehicle are alleged to have caused battery drain problems. Or a control module might be defective by itself.
Thank you very much this is good info. I heard a noise while the truck was off. Open the hood and determined where the sound was coming from and I put my hand on that part and you could feel the vibration from it cycling on and off. Looked up the part by the part number and that is what came up. I appreciate you knowledge was just wanting to know if anyone else experienced this.

This doesn’t have air ride compressor it is saying brake vacuum pump or vacuum pump pic below
Gotcha. I didn’t realize we had this. I thought it was brake booster only.

As far as the battery, find a good shop and have them charge it, then put a load on it to see if it’s bad. I don’t really trust the testers at autozone. These trucks are very dependent on the battery. So if it’s bad, it can wreak havoc.

This issue will be kind of hard to find imo. To test your theory, you could always find out which fuse it is, pull it, and let it sit for a few days. Put it back in and see if it’ll crank.

Not sure what triggers the pump to run tho.
Without a hooking up a computer to scan the modules, hard to know what’s happening.

Gotcha. I didn’t realize we had this. I thought it was brake booster only.

As far as the battery, find a good shop and have them charge it, then put a load on it to see if it’s bad. I don’t really trust the testers at autozone. These trucks are very dependent on the battery. So if it’s bad, it can wreak havoc.

This issue will be kind of hard to find imo. To test your theory, you could always find out which fuse it is, pull it, and let it sit for a few days. Put it back in and see if it’ll crank.

Not sure what triggers the pump to run tho.
Without a hooking up a computer to scan the modules, hard to know what’s happening.
It is at the dealership as we speak. They put a new battery in and they are letting it sit over the weekend to see if it will drain that new battery. Which I think is a stupid idea I won’t pay for the battery if it kills this one too.

It is at the dealership as we speak. They put a new battery in and they are letting it sit over the weekend to see if it will drain that new battery. Which I think is a stupid idea I won’t pay for the battery if it kills this one too.
Gotcha. Good luck and keep us posted!

If you didn't authorize them to replace the battery, you shouldn't have to pay for it. Especially not $500. Batteries don't cost that much. Unhooking the battery, may have e actually reset the electronics and "fixed" the problem. Either way, I wouldn't pay $500 for a new OEM battery

My battery was like $195 at Wally World 6 Mos ago. It's an H7 though. I did not bump up to H8 like most have. I was in a hurry. Battery was right size and the price was great.Screenshot_20230624_111413_Walmart.jpg

Im having the exact same problem. Did you have to replace just the battery or the vaccum pump or something else. Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back