5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Using Pandora over bluetooth

FunkyJunk

Reaction score
On my previous vehicles I was able to open a Pandora app on the stereo and stream pandora with track info and album art. With the Uconnect 12.1 my only options are bluetooth audio and opening Pandora on my my phone (no album art) or through android auto.

Am I missing something? Almost all my other vehicles have pandora on screen.

DeanKing

Reaction score
On my previous vehicles I was able to open a Pandora app on the stereo and stream pandora with track info and album art. With the Uconnect 12.1 my only options are bluetooth audio and opening Pandora on my my phone (no album art) or through android auto.

Subaru’s and possibly other makes have a native pandora app in the infotainment system that allows this. However CarPlay has supplanted this. What I mean is that if you have CarPlay enabled the native app doesn’t work. So the RAM has CarPlay/Android Auto which means it doesn’t need the native app. In other words those pandora apps are old tech. android auto / CarPlay is the new tech. With that you can use whatever service you want as long as it is compatible. That includes ones that may not even exist until the future. Granted the user interface isn’t quite as nice and doesnt support thumbs up/down but they keep improving CarPlay so perhaps that can get better without buying a new truck. The built in apps will never improve from the time you buy the car.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score

IDK about Android Auto, but with Apple Carplay, Pandora app shows on the screen along with album art.
I‘ll double check tomorrow via Bluetooth (can’t remember how that worked for me).

Cheers,

FunkyJunk

Reaction score
Subaru’s and possibly other makes have a native pandora app in the infotainment system that allows this. However CarPlay has supplanted this. What I mean is that if you have CarPlay enabled the native app doesn’t work. So the RAM has CarPlay/Android Auto which means it doesn’t need the native app. In other words those pandora apps are old tech. android auto / CarPlay is the new tech. With that you can use whatever service you want as long as it is compatible. That includes ones that may not even exist until the future. Granted the user interface isn’t quite as nice and doesnt support thumbs up/down but they keep improving CarPlay so perhaps that can get better without buying a new truck. The built in apps will never improve from the time you buy the car.
I like the functionality of android auto. What I don't like is having to plug my phone in to use it. To me, this is a step backwards. If you could use Android Auto over bluetooth, I'd be all for it. In my 2018 Raptor, I could use Pandora with all it's functionality without taking my phone out of my pocket.

Str8Cracker

Reaction score
My previous GMC Sierra Denali had Pandora and iHeart, but still would utilize the CarPlay. I miss it, but the response time and better display on the RAM is worth it.

DeanKing

Reaction score
I like the functionality of android auto. What I don't like is having to plug my phone in to use it. To me, this is a step backwards. If you could use Android Auto over bluetooth, I'd be all for it. In my 2018 Raptor, I could use Pandora with all it's functionality without taking my phone out of my pocket.
Valid point. Wireless CarPlay exists. Just starting to show up now. I think Mercedes has them so they should be standard in a few years. It seems like things are transitioning to a better system but there are a few bumps along the way.

HuskerRAM

Reaction score
On a Related note - if I connect my Samsung S7 Edge through Bluetooth the Phone and Audio are both connected automatically. It's annoying that every text message gets "announced" through the system. I turn the phone off once in the truck, but every time I turn off and back on the phone is now reconnected along with the audio. Is there a way to keep the phone off permanently and the audio on? TIA

Thewrangler73

Reaction score
What I did was when Uconnect asked my phone for permission to access texts and contacts I said no. I can play audio, answer and send calls, but it doesn't announce texts.

sjsleuth

Reaction score
On a Related note - if I connect my Samsung S7 Edge through Bluetooth the Phone and Audio are both connected automatically. It's annoying that every text message gets "announced" through the system. I turn the phone off once in the truck, but every time I turn off and back on the phone is now reconnected along with the audio. Is there a way to keep the phone off permanently and the audio on? TIA

sjsleuth

Reaction score
I believe I saw an option for this in the settings menu.

Zipper100

Reaction score
Unpair your phone and add it again. It will ask for messaging permissions. Deny that and you are good to go.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
IDK about Android Auto, but with Apple Carplay, Pandora app shows on the screen along with album art.
I‘ll double check tomorrow via Bluetooth (can’t remember how that worked for me).

Cheers,
Sorry for the late reply to this. I remembered to test this last night and confirmed that album art works fine via bluetooth (Pandora in this case).
I am on iOS 13 beta, but I do remember working the same for me on iOS 12.x.

18F49137-3B22-4D73-867F-CCECE3125C33.JPG E7CDAB4F-6362-4972-9EE2-A799E1A309EC.JPG D6AD1012-A876-4B5E-ABE7-F6BF72BB0D7B.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread