5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

USB and non-phone peripherals

seansmd

Reaction score
I added a Bulletpoint mounting wireless charger to my truck(2023 limited with 12inch UC5), I noticed the charging cycling on and off and tought it was the mount/phone/case/wire, etc. Turns out the head unit detects a device turns on power but then does not connect with data and cycles off and repeats. I verified this with all the wiring and mount using a wall wort in the inverter and it all works fine phone/case/mount/wire.

I have ordered some data blockers to see if this will allow the ports to be used without needing to add a wall wort in the inverter to feed the wireless charging phone mount.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Are you using the type A or C ports on your truck? I wasn't able to get the type C to power a Carplay device but the type A worked.

You can try disabling Android\Apple carplay on either 2 ports you are likely plugging into. There is a setting in the uConnect 5 menu somewhere for it.
The port inside of your center console (by your seat) does not do data and you can route the cable there.

Also a small DC inverter and regular charger could be used up top and a small cable purchased for that which will probably look WAY cleaner since you can route the cable on the "arms" of the mount and hide them with zip ties. It might stick up too far once something is plugged in though, not sure.

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
That must be new with UC5, because it doesn't do it with UC4.

seansmd

Reaction score
Are you using the type A or C ports on your truck? I wasn't able to get the type C to power a Carplay device but the type A worked.

You can try disabling Android\Apple carplay on either 2 ports you are likely plugging into. There is a setting in the uConnect 5 menu somewhere for it.
The port inside of your center console (by your seat) does not do data and you can route the cable there.

Also a small DC inverter and regular charger could be used up top and a small cable purchased for that which will probably look WAY cleaner since you can route the cable on the "arms" of the mount and hide them with zip ties. It might stick up too far once something is plugged in though, not sure.
I tried both Aand C, same behavior. I will try the one in the armrest forgot about that one.

I have the AC if needed can use that if the data blockers dont work.

Also I do not believe you can disable AA or carplay on the port, the setting is advocated with the phone. So if i plug my phone in any of the 4 ports the setting follows the phone not the port.

seansmd

Reaction score
So I tried data blockers on both A and C ports to the 3rd party Bulletproof wireless charger and it would always cycle on and off charging.

I plugged in a high wattage ac charger into the front inverter port. Works perfect and actually charges while running android auto, streaming audio,etc.

Users who are viewing this thread