5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Usb always on issue with wireless android auto adapter

tom87

Reaction score
2021 ram 1500 laramie crew cab

I have thus far been unable to get my android auto connected wirelessly (don't think my truck has the capability) so I bought a wireless dongle. It works great fir the wireless feature but because the usb ports are all always on, my phone stays connected to android auto. Iv read a few other threads but they all seem to be focused on powered devices amd not the data part. Is there a way around this? Or an I missing something to connect wirelessly without the adapter?

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

I have thus far been unable to get my android auto connected wirelessly (don't think my truck has the capability) so I bought a wireless dongle. It works great fir the wireless feature but because the usb ports are all always on, my phone stays connected to android auto. Iv read a few other threads but they all seem to be focused on powered devices amd not the data part. Is there a way around this? Or an I missing something to connect wirelessly without the adapter?

The USB ports aren't always on. They shutdown after about an hour after the truck being shutoff.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

I bought a $10 switch that I hook up between the USB and my dongle so I turn it off every time I leave the truck. Beats unplugging the dongle and wearing out the port.

Fits nice, neat & cleanly in my center console. You can shut it off and you don't have to have it trying to connect for an hour before your USB's shut down.

Works great with my Motorola Android dongle, has been completely flawless.

Diarypiece USB 3.0 Switch Extension Cable Amazon.com

tom87

Reaction score
I bought a $10 switch that I hook up between the USB and my dongle so I turn it off every time I leave the truck. Beats unplugging the dongle and wearing out the port.

Fits nice, neat & cleanly in my center console. You can shut it off and you don't have to have it trying to connect for an hour before your USB's shut down.

Thanks man. That was the main problem. I know that they shut down after 60 min but my phone stayed connected to the dongle after shutting down the truck.

I have the same set up in my 2015 1500 promaster for my biz and it works like a charm. That one is a Kenwood aftermarket though so the usb is part of the head unit amd shuts off with the van.

FLiPMaRC

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Using the same usb switch for my Wireless AA Adapter. (y)

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/