5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Upgrade UC3 5” to UC5 8.4”

Penguin_5.7

Reaction score
I have a 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn with the current Uconnect 3 and 5” screen, I’d like to do the upgrade to Uconnect 5 8.4” screen. What would I have to purchase in order to make the upgrade happen?

I’ve researched the infotainment upgrade but it’s quite expensive imo. What other route would I be able to purse for the upgrade without having to give up $1,700? I wouldn’t mind purchasing a 3rd party screen that doesn’t eliminate any of the current radio/knobs features of the truck itself, that comes with CarPlay, Apple Play.

Aporter96

Reaction score
Following this because i am having the same issue. There has to be a way. When i searched it on crutchfield i get this message that says the 5in display cannot be replaced and i dont understand why. 3BD57A61-DAEC-4E22-94B5-34928AA2CB50.png

firemedic10584

Ram Guru
Reaction score
To switch from the 5" radio to an 8.4", you will need the whole trim assembly designed for the 8.4". You can not reuse your current trim (the portion with the AC vents) as it looks identical, but I assure you it does not fit the 8.4" radio bezel trim piece. I tried it multiple times lol. If going to a non-nav 8.4, UC4 radio, it's a direct swap plug and play. If you're wanting to go to a NAV unit and/or UC5, there are additional harnesses and pieces you have to get, as well as programming done.

mike7050

Reaction score
I have a 2021 Ram 2500 Big Horn that came with a 5" U-Connect 3 and I upgraded to a U-Connect 5 8.4" screen with an infotainment adapter harness. Everything works well except for the VR (voice recognition) and the answer/ hangup buttons on the steering wheel. I also added a steering wheel with radio buttons on the back and they don't work either. A scanner shows the body control module recognizes when I push them but the radio doesn't recognize the buttons being pushed at all. I am wondering if I need some kind of programming to make the buttons work. If anyone has any knowledge on this I would great appreciate your help...

Users who are viewing this thread