5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Upgrade from Uconnect8.4 non-nav to nav

Rebelman1562

Reaction score
Been doing some reading on this forum. Tried not to double post, so I apologize in advance if I did. Anyway, I have a 2020 Rebel with the 8.4 non-nav, and I’m wanting Nav. Pretty sure I do have to buy a whole new screen setup. I found the one on infotainment for $2,700 that includes everything (I think), but I was curious if there’s any cheaper alternatives, or possibly something I might need that I’m missing? Seen stuff on here about the Alphaobd, but not sure what I’d need if I went that route instead of the Genie? Sorry again if I missed a thread. Just needing some direction. Thanks

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
From what I know you need a whole new screen set up as you state.
I have the 8.4 nav. Not pleased and so are others.

FYI

Rebelman1562

Reaction score
I’ve used the Uconnect map system a few times before, had a 2009 Ram Sport and a 2014 Durango Limited. Never had an issue before, just kinda curious what route to go if I did decide to proceed with the upgrade

SD Rebel

Reaction score
The only positive thing about the 8.4" NAV vs Non-NAV is the gloss black bezel makes the screen look larger and less cheap looking compared to the 12".

The stock NAV is garbage compared to Google Maps. After sending me on another garbage route, I finally relented and bought a new cellphone so I would not have to use the factory NAV again. Prior I had a 5 year old phone that was great with everything except connecting to android auto. But now I connect to Android auto on my 8.4" screen, all is great with the world.

I would use a paper fold-out map or take my chances before I would trust the factory NAV again. And to think they want $100 or so every year for an update, lol.

So to my advice - Download Apple Carplay or Android Auto to your phone and connect that way, far superior in every metric I can think of. Also, if I had a 8.4" non-NAV, I would also wrap the bezel gloss black, makes a huge difference in looks.

Instead of spending money on the factory NAV hardware, you are better off giving that money to a homeless person on the street, gambling in Vegas or investing in FTX cyrpto.

Belvedere

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have the 12" Nav. It doesn't usually find my destination, but when it does, I've had no issues. However, I wouldn't pay anything extra for it.

Then again, I have wireless Android Auto and Google maps works great.

Raydar

Reaction score
I have the 8.4 non-NAV. I use Android Auto and WAZE. Works perfectly. My only complaint is that the "callouts" from Waze are not loud enough.
Probably a setting someplace. Just haven't taken the time to figure it out.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
While Waze is talking, increase the volume with the volume knob.

Works the same with Google Maps, which is usually way too loud, I have my finger on my steering wheel volume control to adjust as it starts to speak, you only have a moment to catch and adjust it before it switch adjusting your radio volume instead.

Users who are viewing this thread