5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Upgrade brake pads for towing duty?

Bobkid

Reaction score
Not real impressed with the initial bite of the OE pads on my Rebel when I’ve got the car hauler behind it, and wondered what people were using to improve the grab? Thanks

Dragonmaster13

Reaction score
Trailer brakes probably need to be dialed up a bit. I don’t have any difference in pedal feel or bite when towing my 7600lb trailer. Yes it takes longer to stop, but that is the nature of towing a trailer.

Bobkid

Reaction score
Trailer brakes are dialed up quite a bit, but I’m not very impressed with the truck’s brakes even without the trailer. Just not much bite to these pads.

Dragonmaster13

Reaction score
May have glazed the pads somehow. Worth checking. If that’s the case new pads and good to go.

Bobkid

Reaction score
Upgraded to R1 Concepts rotors and ceramic pads and much better initial bite. Friction is also nice and linear with harder pedal application versus the stock pads which wouldn't bite much harder no matter how much pedal pressure I gave them. OE pads wouldn't get into ABS on a panic stop, where the new pads have no problems locking things up.

AV8OR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Upgraded to R1 Concepts rotors and ceramic pads and much better initial bite. Friction is also nice and linear with harder pedal application versus the stock pads which wouldn't bite much harder no matter how much pedal pressure I gave them. OE pads wouldn't get into ABS on a panic stop, where the new pads have no problems locking things up.

Mind if I ask how much you paid?

I’m assuming you did all four corners?

I’m in the DFW area who did your work?

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
Do yourself a favor and let the new pads seat in properly for a hundred miles or so before you start trying to lock the brakes up or you'll be in the exact same situation as you were when you first posted about the brakes. They will glaze over and you'll be back to square one. Nearly 30 years in the automotive world and I cant tell you how many times people complained about this because they overheated the brakes glazing them.

Bobkid

Reaction score
Do yourself a favor and let the new pads seat in properly for a hundred miles or so before you start trying to lock the brakes up or you'll be in the exact same situation as you were when you first posted about the brakes. They will glaze over and you'll be back to square one. Nearly 30 years in the automotive world and I cant tell you how many times people complained about this because they overheated the brakes glazing them.
I always bed new pads/rotors using a series of uses going something like this - https://www.powerstop.com/brake-pad-break-in-procedure/

I do a lot of brake work, especially on our track cars, and my old brakes were not glazed. OE just uses a pad compound with a poor coefficient of friction and low dust to prevent noises and messy wheels for most drivers. They’re not bad for a truck around town, but left a lot to be desired when you consider the size of the rotors/calipers/pads and how much stopping force they could provide. Heck, the new pads already had ~10% more contact area with the rotors just by not having that huge gap between the sections on each pad. Not sure what that wasted space was designed to provide, but it sure wasn’t stopping power.

Users who are viewing this thread