5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Update error code 20

Merlin

Reaction score
My 2019 1500 Bighorn let me know there was an update available, yesterday morning so I followed the directions and when I went back out an hour later it said it failed. The same thing occured today. Only thing I could find online is to disconnect the battery in the vehicle so that the screen doesn't stay on to prevent battery drain. So far I notice no battery drain and the screen isnt on. Any ideas besides just ignoring it?

Merlin

Reaction score
So I disconnected my negative battery cable, let it sit for a few and reconnected. Went to work, came home and when I shut the truck off it prompted me for the update again. I just went out to see if it worked and it failed again, error code 20. Everything seems to be working fine, I don't use Sirius XM at all and I am not currently subscribed to wifi.
I don't think its worth taking it into the dealer for, especially if they are going to charge to diagnose. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Ratchet

Reaction score
You don't happen to have a usb thumb drive plugged in somewhere for music do you? You could also try a factory reset on the unit itself and then try to apply the update when prompted. Did it happen to show what version number you were updating to?

Merlin

Reaction score
the only thing plugged in was a USB cable and it wasn't attached to anything. I will disconnect it today when I get in the truck. I didn't take a pic of the update screen, just the fail screen, but I will today if it pops back up. Ty for your response. Ill post a pic here later if it pops up.

Reaction score
I have been getting the error Code 20 for the past few days. I took it to the dealership and they said it's a no charge software update. 30 minutes later, they come back and said they can't get it to update and would have to create a thumbdrive and force the update and that it would cost $280. I left and contacted Ram Customer Care and all they told me was go to a different dealership. I don't want to pay $280 dollars, but I also don't want to have that message pop up every day. I'll contact another dealership and see what they say.

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
mine has been failing also. I'm on version 39.6 currently, and that had to be done with a thumb drive. I wish I could just turn off the auto updates at this point

Merlin

Reaction score
it stopped trying to update after the last failed attempt. So at least it isn't annoying me anymore and everything works fine. I don't know what version it was trying to update too since it stopped.

Merlin

Reaction score
Here is my software version. Not sure if it went through and this is the new version or not. Saw another post from back in August that had the same version. Any help would be appreciated.
1000006605.jpg

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Error code 20 for me also on Thursday night (12/14/23).

Last edited:

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm on 36.9 also but I did my last update from a usb. I thought maybe I "broke the cycle" by doing a usb update, but I guess not since it seems the error 20 is happening to lots of vehicles.

LeQuack1992

Reaction score
I'm getting the error code 20 issue as well. But when I go to the driveconnect website to get the update to do via USB drive it says my truck is already up to date??

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Error code 20 for me also on Thursday night (12/14/23).
12/28/23 Error code 20 again
12/30/23 Error code 20 again, left vehicle at I believe 21% complete and when I returned the code was there.

LeQuack1992

Reaction score
12/28/23 Error code 20 again
12/30/23 Error code 20 again, left vehicle at I believe 21% complete and when I returned the code was there.
Same thing happened to me this morning. Guess Imma go to the dealer and have them update it for $150

Merlin

Reaction score
Same thing happened to me this morning. Guess Imma go to the dealer and have them update it for $150

After I disconnected my negative battery terminal and reconnected, after the next failed attempt it stopped. I haven't had a message for the update since, and everything works like it always has. Up to you to spend the 150 or not. Maybe mine actually updated and that's why it stopped. No idea. I posted my info earlier in the thread about what software version its at. Good luck. Keep us informed.

MrRathman

Reaction score
mine wont go past 19% and get error 20 with a USB.
I replaced the USB hub and it still errors out at 19%.
I continue to get "device not supported" like every 3-5 minutes.
Nothing is plugged in.
Wish there was some help out there.

RandyHut

Reaction score
Mine has been doing same thing for a couple of weeks now. I don't drive the truck much anymore as it is so undependable! Been the worst ruck i have ever owned! WISH I HAD NOT let my 1995 with 330k go
Problem is i have tried RAM & Chevy (2019 and 2015) models and the CP4 and DEF made them the worse trucks ever built. Now the Uconnect system is causing issues! Another nail in the coffin
Sent an email too Stilantis or whatever it is and will wait for a response.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/