5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Uconnect Keeps Restarting

FlyMike

Reaction score
My Uconnect will only work for about 3 minutes at a time before it restarts itself. I disconnected the battery for about 30minutes today with no luck on solving the problem.
I'll be calling the dealer in the morning to see when they can look at it, but wondered if anyone had any suggestions.
Happens with or without a phone paired (Bluetooth or wired), playing on any source, with or without a usb cable plugged in.

FlyMike

Reaction score
Took it to the dealer today. They could not fix it, but said there is an update that is in the works that will fix the issue and created a STAR case. They said a new head unit would most likely would not fix the issue since it would have the same software version. Hopefully the update comes soon or I'll be requesting a new head for them to try.

FastBlackRam

Reaction score
If it was the SW that was the issue we would all have this problem. It is obviously not the SW.

JBRam

Reaction score
What hardware/software versions do you currently have?

I started with N0GL hardware and 18.45.40 software, never had an update since new.

I’ve come across this problem with my truck as well. Everything worked great for the first year I owned the truck. The only thing that changed was my SiriusXM Guardian services expired. I was gone for a week for work when it expired, but the first drive after I got back is when it started happening.

Every 3 1/2 minutes the Uconnect system would shut down and restart. Tried some of the recommendations found in the forums here...unhooking the battery, pulling the radio fuse, unpairing my phone, unplugging the cord used for apple car play...all with no change. Still reset every 3 1/2 minutes.

5 weeks later, and I think it is fixed. Here is the story:
Took it to the local service center a couple days after it started happening. They diagnosed it and couldn’t fix it then/there. Said it would likely need a new unit but that had to be authorized by Uconnect or FCA first and they would get back to me. Reached out to Ram Cares to start a case with them as well. Also noticed the Nav was showing an incorrect position and didn’t have any satellite signal. At first it was just a few miles off, but slowly got worse and then it ended up in the ocean on the other side of the world. Due to no GPS, the clock was always wrong.
A week later, the service center called and said they had a new software update they need to try before the new unit was authorized. Brought the truck back in and found that the update “didn’t take” and I was left with the same software/hardware and problem that I had before. I was never told what version they were trying to update to. About this time, the battery started going dead when the truck was left overnight. Called in to the service center and they said it was due to the radio resetting even when the truck was off. Never noticed screens turning on and off while it was shut down like other members have complained of though. Tried to manually set the clock, but due to the battery going dead and me unplugging it every other night and charging it, I would have to reset it every time and just gave up on that.
I had hoped for an over the air software update would fix the problem, but it never came. A new unit was authorized and ordered after the software update at the dealer didn’t take. About 3 weeks later, it arrived at the dealer and was installed in about an hour and a half. Drove home and the radio didn’t reset at all. Didn’t have my surround view cameras, manual step deployment, climate controls were messed up and would only go to hi or lo (no temp preset available). Sat in my driveway for about an hour and started it up and all is working and back to normal. Now have NFFL hardware and 19.43.13 software.

Sorry for the long read, but hope some of this info helps you or someone else here. Good luck, keep on the service Dept and get Ram cares involved and it will get fixed. I know it’s frustrating, but there is a fix. Good luck.

FlyMike

Reaction score
What hardware/software versions do you currently have?

I started with N0GL hardware and 18.45.40 software, never had an update since new.

I’ve come across this problem with my truck as well. Everything worked great for the first year I owned the truck. The only thing that changed was my SiriusXM Guardian services expired. I was gone for a week for work when it expired, but the first drive after I got back is when it started happening.

Every 3 1/2 minutes the Uconnect system would shut down and restart. Tried some of the recommendations found in the forums here...unhooking the battery, pulling the radio fuse, unpairing my phone, unplugging the cord used for apple car play...all with no change. Still reset every 3 1/2 minutes.

5 weeks later, and I think it is fixed. Here is the story:
Took it to the local service center a couple days after it started happening. They diagnosed it and couldn’t fix it then/there. Said it would likely need a new unit but that had to be authorized by Uconnect or FCA first and they would get back to me. Reached out to Ram Cares to start a case with them as well. Also noticed the Nav was showing an incorrect position and didn’t have any satellite signal. At first it was just a few miles off, but slowly got worse and then it ended up in the ocean on the other side of the world. Due to no GPS, the clock was always wrong.
A week later, the service center called and said they had a new software update they need to try before the new unit was authorized. Brought the truck back in and found that the update “didn’t take” and I was left with the same software/hardware and problem that I had before. I was never told what version they were trying to update to. About this time, the battery started going dead when the truck was left overnight. Called in to the service center and they said it was due to the radio resetting even when the truck was off. Never noticed screens turning on and off while it was shut down like other members have complained of though. Tried to manually set the clock, but due to the battery going dead and me unplugging it every other night and charging it, I would have to reset it every time and just gave up on that.
I had hoped for an over the air software update would fix the problem, but it never came. A new unit was authorized and ordered after the software update at the dealer didn’t take. About 3 weeks later, it arrived at the dealer and was installed in about an hour and a half. Drove home and the radio didn’t reset at all. Didn’t have my surround view cameras, manual step deployment, climate controls were messed up and would only go to hi or lo (no temp preset available). Sat in my driveway for about an hour and started it up and all is working and back to normal. Now have NFFL hardware and 19.43.13 software.

Sorry for the long read, but hope some of this info helps you or someone else here. Good luck, keep on the service Dept and get Ram cares involved and it will get fixed. I know it’s frustrating, but there is a fix. Good luck.
Sounds like the exact same issue, minus the GPS problem. I've only had the truck for 9 months so my Sirius services are still active. Dealer said they checked for updates but none were available. My hardware is NFGL and software is 18.45.40.

FlyMike

Reaction score
Another update:
Battery would be dead after sitting for about 24-36hrs after my initial visit to the deal. Took it in for them to look at it and of course got could not find issue response. Today I took it in again for battery issue and they said they found something in the radio creating a draw. They are finally ordering me a new radio to fix the issue, which will hopefully be in tomorrow.

If you experience this issue I would recommend pressing for a new radio from the initial visit. That way you can get it fixed quicker and won't end up with a dead truck at some point from the radio draining the battery.

Livinfast85

Reaction score
Mine just started this today! Started of by saying blind spot disabled take for service. Then my radio started going haywire. About 15min later, front windows, A/C and radio quit all together! Guess I will add it to the laundry list of crap wrong with my truck. Oh and all this started right after my Sirus subscription shut off!

Users who are viewing this thread