5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

UConnect issue 8.4

JBeckman

Reaction score
Hello all. First thread...

My issue is with the speech to text option. Whenever I try to respond to a text with my own message, it prompts me to a "pre determined list". And will not let me create my own message.

I have spoken with customer service and they say I have everything up to date with software. And that it's a deadlier issue?

I have a appointment to go in to the dealier for them to check, but curious if anyone has had the same issue. And what the result was to repair.

Had this feature in my 14 ram and loved it.

202snowman

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hello all. First thread...

My issue is with the speech to text option. Whenever I try to respond to a text with my own message, it prompts me to a "pre determined list". And will not let me create my own message.

I have spoken with customer service and they say I have everything up to date with software. And that it's a deadlier issue?

I have a appointment to go in to the dealier for them to check, but curious if anyone has had the same issue. And what the result was to repair.

Had this feature in my 14 ram and loved it.

I believe that this option has been eliminated, in that you can only use the text responses that Ram has in the system. If you use the search function on here and search for the word "text" there are some threads that mention it. I think this came about as they introduced Android auto and Apple carplay

JBeckman

Reaction score
I've found a couple threads make mention to it, but nothing definitive. Seems like a great feature to loose IMO.

However when I spoke to UConnect, why wouldn't they have told me that? I explained the issue completely and they said to have the dealier look into it. Very strange. Hopefully I'm not wasting a trip.

202snowman

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I've found a couple threads make mention to it, but nothing definitive. Seems like a great feature to loose IMO.

However when I spoke to UConnect, why wouldn't they have told me that? I explained the issue completely and they said to have the dealier look into it. Very strange. Hopefully I'm not wasting a trip.

I wouldn't put much stock in what the Uconnect people tell you...I'm assuming the first line people aren't very tech savy.

This is from the Uconnect 4C Nav 12 inch manual but I'll assume it holds for yours also. If you look where it says says handsfree text message reply, you'll see it says forward one of the 18 predefined messages. Not sure that is definitive proof but likely points to what you are seeing.

1538941047663.png

I also found another section that basically states the same thing. I highlighted.

1538941293114.png

JBeckman

Reaction score
Thanks for your help snowman. Does kind of bite though. I'm looking into the android auto at the moment. Hopefully it's a seamless transition to use. I'm simple and enjoyed the previous feature.

202snowman

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for your help snowman. Does kind of bite though. I'm looking into the android auto at the moment. Hopefully it's a seamless transition to use. I'm simple and enjoyed the previous feature.

I've only used it a couple times and frankly it isn't the greatest on My Galaxy S7 .. I've only really used it for Maps and streaming Sirius though (on rental vehicles) so maybe for voice texting it works better.

JBeckman

Reaction score
I've only used it a couple times and frankly it isn't the greatest on My Galaxy S7 .. I've only really used it for Maps and streaming Sirius though (on rental vehicles) so maybe for voice texting it works better.

Ya for some reason when I install it on my phone, then plug into truck, nothing shows up on the screen. (Icon instead of phone icon) seems I have some more reading to do. I have the s8+.

MilanK

Reaction score
Hi,
I have issue with my new 2019 Dodge Ram 1500 Big Horn. It came with 8.4 Uconnect (no NAV), every time I connect my iPhone (Bluetooth or USB) after a few calls ( works perfectly) until i hung up and get that loud noise (buum, boom). After that i cannot use phone over connect anymore. Instead of the sound of siri or incoming call or sms I get that loud noise again, not pleasant at all.
It disappears usually upon leaving car and connecting in few hours. Dealership is claiming that Uconect is not compatible with T-mobile Iphone, but i tried other and same thing over again. Also Uconnect website is showing that none of Uconect system is not compatible with Tmobile Iphone, but i used the same Iphone on 3.5 Uconnect Ram 1500 2016 no problems for 3 years.
Any thoughts ?

JBeckman

Reaction score
Hi,
I have issue with my new 2019 Dodge Ram 1500 Big Horn. It came with 8.4 Uconnect (no NAV), every time I connect my iPhone (Bluetooth or USB) after a few calls ( works perfectly) until i hung up and get that loud noise (buum, boom). After that i cannot use phone over connect anymore. Instead of the sound of siri or incoming call or sms I get that loud noise again, not pleasant at all.
It disappears usually upon leaving car and connecting in few hours. Dealership is claiming that Uconect is not compatible with T-mobile Iphone, but i tried other and same thing over again. Also Uconnect website is showing that none of Uconect system is not compatible with Tmobile Iphone, but i used the same Iphone on 3.5 Uconnect Ram 1500 2016 no problems for 3 years.
Any thoughts ?

For the dealer to say it's due to not being compatible with T-Mobile, that means it's time to go to different dealership. The mobile carrier has nothing to do with it.

Are you using the apple carplay? Or just using the bluetooth features?

Personally I do not have an apple, so I cannot give solid advice on if it could be the carplay app. But I would look into having an updated version of the app. Make sure the uconnect is running the updated software. If both those are good, possibly try to unpaire and repair the phone. Not a lot of advise, but sometimes it helps.

MilanK

Reaction score
For the dealer to say it's due to not being compatible with T-Mobile, that means it's time to go to different dealership. The mobile carrier has nothing to do with it.

Are you using the apple carplay? Or just using the bluetooth features?

Personally I do not have an apple, so I cannot give solid advice on if it could be the carplay app. But I would look into having an updated version of the app. Make sure the uconnect is running the updated software. If both those are good, possibly try to unpaire and repair the phone. Not a lot of advise, but sometimes it helps.

Its a same thing with Bluetooth and carplay. Mostly using bluetooth only, i tried different phones, other carriers , my phone is running on lates ios update car as well. Might try to reset the radio and see results

Neglakayo

Reaction score
UConnect 8.4! Is there a way to have the screen show the clock when the system is off instead of a blank/black screen.

Users who are viewing this thread