5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Uconnect Handsfree Questions

sticker500

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I want to ask the group and make sure that there is not a setting to change this and this is really how dumb this works.

If I am on a call, and I switch to handset so others in the vehicle can't hear my conversation the music will not resume. Is that because of the source and it's pausing the song or is that like that on all sources.

Also, If I am on a call and turn the vehicle off and exit, the radio stays on and my call won't transfer to my handset unless I move it to the handset but the radio stays on until the configured timeout. Is that supposed to work this way?

Blazn

FifGen
Reaction score
Well my truck has been in the paint booth for almost 2 weeks so I'll go based off what I recall. I believe it's the same as my 17 Jeep. I think answers might vary dependent on Android or Apple users and models... I'm a Pixel 2 XL user and my wife is an iPhone X user and our system experience isn't exactly the same

- turning off the vehicle while in a call, you have to switch over the call on device. I know this for a fact on the Jeep and pretty sure that's how the Ram is too. The set time out for vehicle off will keep the call up to that point after the vehicle is off, it forces the call back to the device (but I feel like that is dependent on your device)

- when on bluetooth the music stays on pause for both the Jeep and Ram (again I think it depends on your device) lesser phones might not be as adept

- when plugged into usb using Android Auto, the music stops but it has defaulted to the radio and forced me to go private and glitch the whole system the first time. It has sense worked for me for both through the uconnect and private....on the Ram, I have to press play occasionally

- I'm pretty sure if using bluetooth but listening to Sirius but swtiching to private, the uconnect doesn't know and you have to turn the volume down manually. I'll verify when I hit the road today in my SRT

sticker500

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thank you for your reply. Can anyone tell me why they would want the music/source to not play in the background when the call was transferred to the handset? Think of passengers here...

Also, when the vehicle is turned off the UConnect system should stay on for the set configured time UNLESS the drivers door is open, then it should turn off and if I was on a call it would auto be transferred to the handset by disconnecting bluetooth.

Blazn

FifGen
Reaction score
Thank you for your reply. Can anyone tell me why they would want the music/source to not play in the background when the call was transferred to the handset? Think of passengers here...

Also, when the vehicle is turned off the UConnect system should stay on for the set configured time UNLESS the drivers door is open, then it should turn off and if I was on a call it would auto be transferred to the handset by disconnecting bluetooth.

To hear the caller clearly and for them to not hear the garbled sound of music in the background on their end.

Door opened or not I've always had to manually switch over.

sticker500

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thank you. In this case you can always just turn the volume down, with the current setup we have no choice.

Since the system if so configurable why not provide us the option to turn off radio when door opened? They have the ability because when you remote start the vehicle I don't believe the radio starts playing until the door is opened.

Blazn

FifGen
Reaction score
Fair point...once I get my truck back I'll look closer in the settings and see if I over looked it. Might have to looker at hidden menus

I Love Grits

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I agree about being able to select how you want the radio to operate when switching to handset or leaving the vehicle would be nice, just so everyone could have it the way they want.

Personally though, I like the default setup.

Scenario 1:

Listening to music loudly and a call comes in. Answer through the radio & then decide to switch over to handset for privacy. Make the change on the phone and the music doesn't instantly jump back up and have to scramble to turn it down quickly. My Ford used to do the opposite (resume the music when switched over) and I didn't care for it.​
Scenario 2:

On a conference call and need to get fuel. Find a station, pull in and turn the truck off and open the door to pump some gas & expect the phone call to get kicked to handset. Pleasantly surprised to see that I can start pumping gas with the door open, all while being able to hear the call. Get back in the truck and listen while the pump is running. Finish up and start the truck again and take off. All without having to switch back and forth between handset/Uconnect.​

Obviously its personal preference, but I appreciate how system acts as is. Would be nice for guys like you to be able to change it though.

Users who are viewing this thread