5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

uConnect 12.1 update (July 2020 update) effectively makes HD radio unusable

1GlockFan

Reaction score
Geeze... I literally just got back from picking up my new (to me) 2019 w/ 12" screen. My volume controls are hit or miss and my Nav will not load. The update message keeps popping up and I am extremely nervous about doing it. The only way to listen to music thus far is to stream it via bluetooth from my phone and use the phones volume control.

FastBlackRam

Reaction score
Geeze... I literally just got back from picking up my new (to me) 2019 w/ 12" screen. My volume controls are hit or miss and my Nav will not load. The update message keeps popping up and I am extremely nervous about doing it. The only way to listen to music thus far is to stream it via bluetooth from my phone and use the phones volume control.
Wait a minute. You bought and drove off with a vehicle with these problems? Why would you do that? Asking for a friend.

1GlockFan

Reaction score
Wait a minute. You bought and drove off with a vehicle with these problems? Why would you do that? Asking for a friend.

I was told that the system needed to be updated. However, I should not drive it while it’s updating. my XM, HD Radio, and the map function works. Other than when I am streaming music, I have to adjust the volume When I first start the truck.

Eltaco

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had my dealer in for service 2 weeks ago and noticed all of my radio presets were different when I got the truck back. Thought that was odd... now I wonder if they pushed an update while it was at the dealership.

My XM radio has been hit or miss since I picked it up, and I usually just keep driving. Tonight it wouldn’t load again so I pulled over. Tried FM and no radio would work, the volume wouldn’t turn up past 9. Either way, there was no sound. I swapped over to Bluetooth and that wasn’t working either. Showed volume at 0 and I couldn’t change it, but also the information from my phone didn’t display while playing.

I’ve never really encountered a problem other than with Pandora stations sometimes not loading. Suddenly it’s about a 50/50 chance of any functionality.

Usually if I shut the truck down, next time I turn it on I regain function. Tonight I restarted twice with no luck. Just jumped back in the truck and it’s working again. Ugh.
27585c6dd531db49efeb078b7adea8b7.jpg

Last edited:

1GlockFan

Reaction score
Has anyone successfully updated the 12" and had Nav, etc. function properly?

1GlockFan

Reaction score
Almost all of us. There have been many, many posts by users about updates. This is one of only a couple of threads discussing issues.

Thank you so much for the quick reply. I will go and run mine shortly.

Gozar

Reaction score
Broken functionality aside, at least they are trying to update the 12" systems, the 8.4" Nav has not received a single update, we must not be worth it to FCA since we did not spend more......:mad:

Sonnie

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Odd... my unit has not prompted me for an update since I purchased it a couple of months ago.

Timeless

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Odd... my unit has not prompted me for an update since I purchased it a couple of months ago.

It is truly hit or miss. I think FCA rolls them out in batches based on location.

There is also the possibility that you have such an old version that it will never update without a visit to the dealership.

Barqs

Reaction score
Broken functionality aside, at least they are trying to update the 12" systems, the 8.4" Nav has not received a single update, we must not be worth it to FCA since we did not spend more......:mad:
My wife bought a '20 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the 8.4 system in February, and it updated a few weeks ago, about a week before my Ram's 12" system received an update. That's where we first noticed the volume control getting set to 0 on the Carplay/Android Auto navigation, so I knew exactly what to do after mine pushed. I think both systems are getting OTA updates but they aren't doing them all at one time to avoid overwhelming both the system and their support staff when everyone calls to complain about this and that not working anymore.

RHCan

USAF Retired Vet
Site Supporter
Reaction score
After mines was updated at the dealershipI started to have issues. After 8 weeks they have repacked radio.
No more issues

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/