5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

UC5 questions

grizzlygoalie

Reaction score
few questions on the non nav 8.4 UC5.

Can i stream video to the unit? looking to watch some movies for my daughter when we're sitting in the car pool line waiting to pick up my older kids from school - 30 min can be forever for a 4 year old

Can I change the background/theme to a custom picture?

f_martinek

Reaction score
Short answers: No & no

Long answer: For streaming video to the screen you need something like this: Amazon.com

It is an Android based box that the truck will see as an Android phone basically. Only caveat is that it needs a data connection to be able to stream video (truck hotspot, phone hotspot, SIM card in the device itself) and you can download most streaming video apps (Netflix, Prime Video, Hulu). I used a similar device in my last truck which was nice for the purpose you mentioned but in my 2021 at least only one smartphone could be "projecting" at a time so my iPhone was not really useable via CarPlay and it wouldn't ring through the truck on bluetooth. The device has a wireless CarPlay functionality built in but I didn't like how it worked (can't remember why off the top of my head)

I think your only options for screen backgrounds are the builtin themes.

Users who are viewing this thread