5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

U-Joints on Rear Axle

cdautrey

Reaction score
The other day a co-worker of mine told me he and another gentleman heard a noise when I was backing up and then put it in drive that sounded like my u-joints were possible going out. I have 2019 Ram 1500 Bighorn and I have heard some noises from time to time, but I don't have much experience with U-joints. Any suggestions on what I should be listening for or is this something that I should be able to check myself?

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If a U-joint on the driveshaft has failed, there will be a lot of slop between the pieces at the joint. You can grab the shaft and forcefully push it back and forth and you'll see looseness and play in the joint. Some trucks also have a center bearing and 2-piece shaft and that center bearing can also fail.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah 100K sounds possible. Sure wouldn't hurt to check. They used to put Zerk fittings on these but that went out of style along with maintainable batteries.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah 100K sounds possible. Sure wouldn't hurt to check. They used to put Zerk fittings on these but that went out of style along with maintainable batteries.
Because most people never greased the joints even when there was a grease zerk and they would fail more often than sealed units used today

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The other day a co-worker of mine told me he and another gentleman heard a noise when I was backing up and then put it in drive that sounded like my u-joints were possible going out. I have 2019 Ram 1500 Bighorn and I have heard some noises from time to time, but I don't have much experience with U-joints. Any suggestions on what I should be listening for or is this something that I should be able to check myself?

Most squeak when they are on the way out, this occurs first then they start developing a lot of slop in the driveline.
I don't recall that the u-joints on the Gen 5 are greaseable and I know that I replaced the joints on my previous gen 3 truck twice in 277k miles so 100K miles till a failure may not be abnormal esp if you tow

Last edited:

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
100k, u joint can go easily. Was it a clunk or just a squeak/squeal?

By the way, if the u-joint on your rear axle is bad, as the thread title states, well sir, you have big time troubles then. Driveshaft is not so bad but rear axle u-joints are a whole other world!

Users who are viewing this thread