5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TT & 5th Gen Ram Towing Sanity Check

RamFan2019

Reaction score
Hi All,

Looking to purchase a new or Slightly used 5th Gen Ram to tow our TT would like a sanity check from folks with more experience.
The TT is a Sunset Trail 262BH - Dry Weight of 5500lbs / Dry Tongue weight of 568 - The GVWR of the TT is 7100 Lbs which would likely put the tongue weight at 852lbs assuming 12% of trailer weight. TT has a eazlift Trekker WDH/Sway control hitch

Considering a 2019 1500 BigHorn 4x4 CC with 5.7 and 3.92 - would target a payload capacity of 1800 -1500 lbs depending on options.
Any concerns towing this TT?

Currently towed it a few times (empty) with a 2014 Dodge Durango R/T with a 1200lb payload /7200lb tow capacity, but I realize now once i load the TT up for a trip I will be at or nearly at the Durangos limits and want some safety margin.

Appreciate your thoughts..

sparky01

Reaction score
I had a 2012 1500 with the 5.7L Hemi. My 27' TT is around the same specs as yours and my truck pulled it really well. I did not have the right gear setup for it like your looking at but I would always be in the fast lane going uphill with plenty of horses left.

Zeronet

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m towing similar weight (see trailer specs in my signature) with my Longhorn but with only the wife and I and a couple hundred pounds of cargo in the truck. No problems.

You’re looking at a bunk house so I’m assuming more passengers. If you have a good weight distribution hitch with built in sway control and are reasonable about the weight of passengers/cargo weight in the truck, sounds like a good fit with the Big Horn.

Johnvan

Reaction score
I tow a very similar trailer with a fully loaded truck, 4 passengers, a couple of kayaks, bikes and a generator in the back. Zero problems with several thousand miles towed. No errors on my air suspension even though I’m a couple of hundred pounds overweight. You’ll be fine with it as long as it’s properly set up.

Tones1975

Reaction score
I'm towing a 27' bunkhouse with my 2019 Rebel with 3.92 gears and no air suspension. I use a weight distribution hitch and the truck easily tows the trailer. Only thing is the fuel mileage is horrendous with the hemi. Lol. Has lots of useable power but certainly does a number on fuel economy.

RamFan2019

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies and the sanity check. What are your thoughts on the Rear end - should I go for the 3.92 or is the 3.21 "good enough" and maybe gets me a bit better fuel economy when not towing?

Tones1975

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies and the sanity check. What are your thoughts on the Rear end - should I go for the 3.92 or is the 3.21 "good enough" and maybe gets me a bit better fuel economy when not towing?
I had a 2018 ram sport crew cab hemi with 3.21 rear end and it towed pretty well as long as you didn't need to overtake another vehicle on the highway. The truck did have 35" tires on it though, so it prob wouldn't be as bad with the factory tires. My new truck has 3.92 and factory tires and seems to be more capable when towing. 3.21 gears are def more fuel efficient in my opinion but also decrease your max tow capacity.

raven_DT

Reaction score
I dont think that the weights would be an issue, but the length might be depending on where you tow. If you are towing locally it shouldn't be an issue. If you plan on towing long distances especially on the interstate @ 65mph you may get into the tail wagging the dog scenario. A almost 31ft in length that a pretty big sail behind a 1/2 TW.

VernDiesel

Reaction score
Drive both the 3.92 & the 3.21. Most like the 3.92 so much better that they pick it over the 3.21 despite knowing unloaded they will lose a bit of mileage on the highway.

It is a long sail but using a well set up WDH with built in sway control and keeping to 65 you should have no issues. At least thats been my experience with lots of different long TTs and lots of miles. But when I tow a long TT I use the CAT scale to adjust my WDH & loading to replace my unloaded steer weight and aim toward getting my tongue weight to 12 percent.

BTW great replies here. Its interesting I generally see better towing replies even for TTs on truck forums than I do on RV / camping forums. RVs forums always have a few guys that know how and why to set up hitch axle & TWs properly but are just over run by the guys parroting warnings about payload stickers and potential tickets & laws suits but have no idea of what and why will constitute a safe tow set up.

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
One thing to watch for is passing/being passed by, semi trucks. They push a big bow wake, and it will push the tail, and front of the trailer when you pass through it. Just watch the mirrors a little so you know when they are going by, and use the trailer brake just enough to stretch the trailer/pickup string to keep it straight and not "wag the dog".

Users who are viewing this thread