5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trying to upgrade factory struts a d shocks.. help

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Nothing as of yet. I would guess we have more options/info after SEMA. Fox makes the ones for the Mopar 2" lift but I do not believe they are sold outside of that.

Icecold77

Reaction score
Agree.. I'd prefer not to go the Fox route.. hard to believe Bilstein hasn't released info yet... they have it, their shocks are on the Rebels- I think.. So they have long known the specs. I've done many Bilstein 5100s upgrades on Rams- love them.. more sporty but smooth ride.. my new 1500 feels like a mess.. very smooth like my grandfather wants, but horrible body roll and feel.

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Agree.. I'd prefer not to go the Fox route.. hard to believe Bilstein hasn't released info yet... they have it, their shocks are on the Rebels- I think.. So they have long known the specs. I've done many Bilstein 5100s upgrades on Rams- love them.. more sporty but smooth ride.. my new 1500 feels like a mess.. very smooth like my grandfather wants, but horrible body roll and feel.
The Bilsteins on the Rebel are only an inch longer over stock, but I would imagine they have some out after SEMA. For the body roll, people are putting the Hellwig sway bar on the rear and say it makes a huge difference.

Icecold77

Reaction score
I just picked it up Friday. Wheels and tires headed my way 35x11.5 Ridge Grapplers and Black Rhino wheels.. ready lift 3.5 in set up.. want to have the upgraded shocks installed at the same time as the lift...

jamesfg

Reaction score
want to have the upgraded shocks installed at the same time as the lift...

I dunno if this will help you but I have the Bilstein shocks off my old 17 2500. I swear they have less than 500 miles on 'em. If you wanna do the research to see if they fit, I'll let 'em go for dirt cheap.

Icecold77

Reaction score
I dunno if this will help you but I have the Bilstein shocks off my old 17 2500. I swear they have less than 500 miles on 'em. If you wanna do the research to see if they fit, I'll let 'em go for dirt cheap.

Appreciate the offer. I can get my hands on plenty of shocks. Issue is no one knows what fits the 19s other that the stock junk. Its just a waiting game. Thanks though

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If a lift or level kit for the 4th Gen fits... wouldn't struts fit as well? I think the suspension is pretty much the same.

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If a lift or level kit for the 4th Gen fits... wouldn't struts fit as well? I think the suspension is pretty much the same.
The strut is different. The 2019s are longer. There is a post here with somebody comparing them and the Bilsteins and there is a big difference. The level kits work because the top of the strut is still the same and that is where it bolts on.

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ok... but the Rebel has Bilstein struts and there must be specs for them, just go to a dealer and ask for the specs on Rebel struts?

DIRTRIDER

Reaction score
I reached out to Bilstein and asked about when their adjustable shocks, 5100 & 6112, will be out for the '19 RAM 1500's, they responded back saying they will be out after the first of the year, 2019.

Icecold77

Reaction score
A few people nailed it.. they are not the same as the 18. Spacers that sit on the top would still work. Point is the strut itself has changed. The Bilstein for the Rebel is also different and wont work for what I'm trying to do either. Have the Ready Lift 3.5 in kit , at the same time of installation (when it's already apart) I always have a Bilstein installed vs the stock mopar crap reinstalled. The kit requires the same specs as stock, or things start to get out of whack. That kit was designed pretty specifically if you read about it or call them. The control arm angle itself was designed for the kit lift of 3.5 in, and 35in tires... my issue is I'll have the Ready Lift, 35s, missing having the better shock installed while they have it apart....

Icecold77

Reaction score
The strut is different. The 2019s are longer. There is a post here with somebody comparing them and the Bilsteins and there is a big difference. The level kits work because the top of the strut is still the same and that is where it bolts on.

Spot on!

Icecold77

Reaction score
The Bilsteins on the Rebel are only an inch longer over stock, but I would imagine they have some out after SEMA. For the body roll, people are putting the Hellwig sway bar on the rear and say it makes a huge difference.

I'm sure the sway bar helps. Bilsteins give not only far better handling, but a better ride. 1st thing I do to every truck cheap upgrade, and well worth it!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online