5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trying to track down the famous "clunk"

firemedic10584

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So I've made other posts about the famous "clunk" sound that a large majority of us have. I've got the new sway bar bushings and the Suspension maxx end links. While those two parts did seem to make it better, I still have a clunk going over speed bumps at low speeds. Crawling around under my truck yesterday, I notice my CV axel shafts, I can wiggle left and right slightly, causing a "clunk" sound that sounds damn there like what I'm hearing.

My question is, I don't know what normal play in CV axel shafts should be. Is this normal? Is this not normal? Someone smarter than me let me know so maybe I can point my dealer in this direction and those of you with the clunk can check yours too.

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
So I've made other posts about the famous "clunk" sound that a large majority of us have. I've got the new sway bar bushings and the Suspension maxx end links. While those two parts did seem to make it better, I still have a clunk going over speed bumps at low speeds. Crawling around under my truck yesterday, I notice my CV axel shafts, I can wiggle left and right slightly, causing a "clunk" sound that sounds damn there like what I'm hearing.

My question is, I don't know what normal play in CV axel shafts should be. Is this normal? Is this not normal? Someone smarter than me let me know so maybe I can point my dealer in this direction and those of you with the clunk can check yours too.
They are supposed to have "play" in them. They need to expand and contract as the suspension cycles. Just like the driveshaft.

Users who are viewing this thread