5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trying to avoid seasick kids

X4H

Reaction score
I did try to find this by searching...

Before the summer, we purchased a popup camper. The handful of times we went out. I noticed that there is a noticeable "bounce" like it's on a wave when we are on a specific piece of road. And by specific, I'm talking 20 miles of I75 before we exit the state

For reference, the truck has a front level and the camper, while pretty big for a popup, is nothing huge.

We are planning a trip to Disney next year and my worry is that the kids will get seasick if, say, Georgia roads cause the same problem.

So..airbags?

I don't know much about it, but it seems like an inexpensive system that goes in the spring may stiffen the suspension or raise up the back a bit to counteract the motion.

Is anyone familiar with this or can pose some other suggestions?

crusher

Ram Guru
Reaction score
+1 on tongue weight and weight distribution, just that should take care off it, if the trailer itsself is in good shape, if the trailer suspension has damage, then.... not much to be done, you said just purchase it, was it new ?

but it will not hurt if you want to put air bags,

i use airlift 1000hd, their not expensive, easy to install if you use the fold with tie rap method

Reactions: X4H

X4H

Reaction score
+1 on tongue weight and weight distribution, just that should take care off it, if the trailer itsself is in good shape, if the trailer suspension has damage, then.... not much to be done, you said just purchase it, was it new ?

but it will not hurt if you want to put air bags,

i use airlift 1000hd, their not expensive, easy to install if you use the fold with tie rap method
The trailer is not new at all (2005), but it is in great shape.

I should say that this issue literally only has happened in Michigan. Weird, right? As soon as I hit Ohio, nothing. Pennsylvania too.

So, it is a combination of poorly engineered highway portions and something else with the truck, because I haven't noticed it anywhere other than MI.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

gofishn

Reaction score
Going out on alimb , here, but you did mention, only one stretch of road and only in one state:
Road Heave.

See those cracks in the road between the road sections? They heave along those lines.
Another culprit could be spacing of the cracks, amplifying the road heave.

Drive that stretch without a camper adn see if you notice a ride difference along that stretch compared to others parts of teh roadway.

Tongue weigt of the camper is helping to amplify it as well.

CHeck tongue weight, always something that should be doen with any trailer b4 hooking it up,
if only to insure you have enough tongue weight for the weight being pulled, if nothign else.
I prefer about 12%, of total trailer weight, but 7-15% is fine.

Air bags shoudl help. so too going with upgrading springs, which will cost about teh same as the bags. if going with bags, run a seperate air line to each bag.
If spring,s can upgrade capacity by 50% and keep OEM ride or not, OEM is variable rate of compression bu can also go with constant rate of compression spring. howeve,r ride will be stiffer with constant rate springs vs variable. reason RaM WENT WITH VARIABLE, GIVE THAT SMOOTH UNLOADED RIDE BUT oops it causes squat and can amplify porpoising.

Shock upgrade cna help too.

Really think tongue wewight and road conditions is your main culprit and no need for bags, springs or shocks.

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
As soon as I read your post, I thought, huh, sounds like Michigan. 😆 It’s the roads, but the airlift bags are cheap and easy. Sumosprings if you want any more capacity and damping. As already said, check tongue weight too. Higher quality shocks would help, for more $.

tabber02

Reaction score
i’d recommend you look into a weight distribution hitch. even though the camper is light, a weight distribution hitch will load your steer axle and help with some of the porpoise others have described. the other maybe cause by sway. all symptoms of too much weight on the tongue, crappy roads, and maybe driving a tick to fast for that trailer.

on my 2500, i had an equa-l-zer hitch that was great about helping to load the front of my truck… even though the trailer i was pulling was “light” by what the cummins was capable of.

Users who are viewing this thread