5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Truxedo Pro X15?

tysmith

Reaction score
I exchanged a couple emails with Luke at truckalterations.com today, and now I have an X15 on the way. Looking forward to its arrival.

SemperGumby

Reaction score
Does anyone else find this thing impossible to close with the tailgate up? I feel like I'm going to break the side rails if I press down hard enough to close it. Also the lip of the rear seal does not even come close to covering over the tailgate, so I'm assuming that is where people get water leaks.

redbranch

Reaction score
I also can't close mine with the tailgate up, can't get enough down pressure on it, but I'm vertically challenged (read short ;) ) . But mine does extend to the back and is tight to the tailgate and it's not leaking, at least so far.

Last edited:

Kntoys

Reaction score
Does anyone else find this thing impossible to close with the tailgate up? I feel like I'm going to break the side rails if I press down hard enough to close it. Also the lip of the rear seal does not even come close to covering over the tailgate, so I'm assuming that is where people get water leaks.
Try adjusting the tension?

SemperGumby

Reaction score
Try adjusting the tension?
Tried unscrewing the auto tension parts at the tailgate end quite a bit, still no go and the top was quite loose.

It doesn't necessarily bother me all that much, I don't plan on having anything in the bed that can't get wet, however seeing videos of people just slapping the cover down makes me wonder what the heck I did wrong.

Neokane

Reaction score

I did, and contacted truxedo. I ask them to send me a seal like the front.
Here are pics of both.

Definitely was worth the call.

Attachments

• 20190307_095927.jpg
    20190307_095927.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 222
  • 20190311_150323.jpg
    20190311_150323.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 219

tysmith

Reaction score
Wonder if it depends on bed length? Mine is 6'4", and at first, tailgate seal didn't quite seal at tailgate. I loosened clamps and cheated whole cover back about 1/4"-3/8", and seal sits nice on gate. Also, mine is not easy to shut with tailgate up, it definitely closes with authority. I wouldn't classify it as hard to close, though.
This is my first go with a soft cover, only having had a retrax in the past. I get some level of luffing at speeds above 50 or so, but nothing I would consider to be an issue, or abnormal. I don't think, anyway. So far, I like how it functions and looks. Rained pretty good yesterday afternoon, and just a few dribble spots by tailgate, which didn't surprise me. I don't have whole gate sealed to bed.

Neokane

Reaction score
I feel the x15 is certainly designed to be closed after the tailgate.
At first, I found it difficult to close, but it seems to be getting easier.

Fantastipotamus

Reaction score
Yeah, I’ve had my X15 since the fall and it definitely feels like it’s geting easier. And I’ve never found it possible to get the tailgate closed with the cover latched first.. I just gave up and changed my behavior.

SemperGumby

Reaction score
Decided to just say screw it and give it a real good push and it closed fine, seal went down over the tailgate as it should and I didn't hear any cracks on the rails, so that's good news.

Harrell23

Reaction score
Decided to just say screw it and give it a real good push and it closed fine, seal went down over the tailgate as it should and I didn't hear any cracks on the rails, so that's good news.
How? I've tried adjusting the rails 5 times and slam it down and nothing. Called truxedo said sometimes it just wont close w the tailgate closed. Just keeps popping up. Open the tailgate boom 1 sec its closed. Any tips from anyone on how to get it down w the tailgate closed?

UnclJim

Reaction score
How? I've tried adjusting the rails 5 times and slam it down and nothing. Called truxedo said sometimes it just wont close w the tailgate closed. Just keeps popping up. Open the tailgate boom 1 sec its closed. Any tips from anyone on how to get it down w the tailgate closed?
I was just watching install videos on it, could you have pushed down to far/hard
on the rail? maybe loosen clamps a bit and let it slide up a smidge

Last edited:

ClinchMountainRam

Reaction score
I have the X15, had the same problem with getting it to latch. Tailgate should be closed before the cover. I also tried readjusting with no success. Ended up cutting a piece of 2x4 to support/raise slightly the rail near the latch. It works but it's a bit annoying. I think it's a design flaw. I really like the cover otherwise. I painted it black, at some point I'll get inspired to come up with something more elegant.
c22beb952600ced3f9b34e43633167c0.jpg

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

DSTJ99

Reaction score
I’ve had mine for 15 months and very happy with it. I’ve never had issues closing it but did have to play with the screw adjustments at install to get it to sit level. I always close it after the tailgate so the seal lays on top of the gate for better rain protection and it does need to be slammed down a bit to latch. I have MFT and Ramboxes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

doolin64

Reaction score
That's how I use mine. No issues after 1yr and half. Very pleased with this cover.

SemperGumby

Reaction score
I've taught myself to push down in the middle and, while putting pressure there, push a *bit* harder on the driver side of the cover, it latches every time as long as I do that.

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Had it on my 2018 f150 and have it on my 2020 ram. Great cover.

dski

Reaction score
Installed Truxedo - initially had the issue closing the cover. I was able to adjust the rail per the instruction perfectly level by moving the clamps up and down and now it latches very nicely. I close the tailgate first then push the cover down towards the ends to latch. I have MFT.

byebyebowtie

Reaction score
if anyone is lurking here debating this bed cover, i am selling one. loved it but got a deal too good to pass up on a hard tri fold so switched to that. Check buy-sell-trade section if interested.

Users who are viewing this thread