5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Truck would not shift out of gear

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hi everyone - was driving to work this morning and stopped at a light. The light turns green and I get on the gas...the roads were a little wet so it felt like I was having trouble getting traction. I quickly realized the truck was revving and not shifting out of gear. I gently got to the side of the road, put the truck in park, and shut it off. Waited about a minute and restarted. RPMS seemed to be around 1000-1500 at idle. Revved it a little and it sounded 'normal' so put it in gear and slowly started on my way. Everything shifted fine the rest of the ride? Any idea what might have happened there? I thought I was noticing some 'slipping' over the last week or so but I have a heavy foot and roads are wet so chalked it up to that.

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
Hi everyone - was driving to work this morning and stopped at a light. The light turns green and I get on the gas...the roads were a little wet so it felt like I was having trouble getting traction. I quickly realized the truck was revving and not shifting out of gear. I gently got to the side of the road, put the truck in park, and shut it off. Waited about a minute and restarted. RPMS seemed to be around 1000-1500 at idle. Revved it a little and it sounded 'normal' so put it in gear and slowly started on my way. Everything shifted fine the rest of the ride? Any idea what might have happened there? I thought I was noticing some 'slipping' over the last week or so but I have a heavy foot and roads are wet so chalked it up to that.
did it set any codes?

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Did you accidentally hit the little plus-minus button on the steering wheel?

SD Rebel

Reaction score

As mentioned, sounds like you hit the minus on the steering wheel at the stop and locked your transmission in 1st gear. It resets several ways, but turning off and on your truck will do it.

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
As mentioned, sounds like you hit the minus on the steering wheel at the stop and locked your transmission in 1st gear. It resets several ways, but turning off and on your truck will do it.
Thank you - that could have been it. I hold the steering wheel at the bottom as that is where the heat is the hottest. Could have easily given that a tap

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Thank you - that could have been it. I hold the steering wheel at the bottom as that is where the heat is the hottest. Could have easily given that a tap

We have all done it before :)

But just in case, keep an eye out should the incident happen again. Before turning off your truck or switching out of gear, check to see if there is a "1" to the right of the PDRL indicators on your gauges, if not, then you know it wasn't the gear limit.

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
We have all done it before :)

But just in case, keep an eye out should the incident happen again. Before turning off your truck or switching out of gear, check to see if there is a "1" to the right of the PDRL indicators on your gauges, if not, then you know it wasn't the gear limit.
will definitely take a look at that!

Users who are viewing this thread