5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Truck requires a lot of gas to start going reverse uphill

leeghoti

Reaction score
Looking for some feedback & maybe some of you can do a test and share your experiences.
I live on a small hill in a neighborhood and the entrance of my driveway is about a 25-30 degree hill and then it flattens out on top for about 50' of parking area.
I often back in from the road and have had no power issues, even if I go slow as I have a stone wall on 1 side and a dropoff on the other.
Yesterday I was maneuvering my truck to a different part of my driveway, and I stopped on the hill near the top and put it into reverse to back it into position. To my surprise the truck didn't budge until I got to about 4k rpms, and then it barely moved. Thinking the transmission wasn't in correctly I put it in D & moved a little further down; same thing. This time i pushed it to 5k & it backed up but still very slowly. Now this is a something I have done in my previous truck many times and it behaved "normally", meaning it reacted the same in reverse starting on a hill as it did if I started on flat ground and moved onto a hill.
Can anybody else, particularly with the V6, test reverse starting on a hill and share your experience with me? Wondering if I have a problem or if this is just how they tune the transmission.

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Looking for some feedback & maybe some of you can do a test and share your experiences.
I live on a small hill in a neighborhood and the entrance of my driveway is about a 25-30 degree hill and then it flattens out on top for about 50' of parking area.
I often back in from the road and have had no power issues, even if I go slow as I have a stone wall on 1 side and a dropoff on the other.
Yesterday I was maneuvering my truck to a different part of my driveway, and I stopped on the hill near the top and put it into reverse to back it into position. To my surprise the truck didn't budge until I got to about 4k rpms, and then it barely moved. Thinking the transmission wasn't in correctly I put it in D & moved a little further down; same thing. This time i pushed it to 5k & it backed up but still very slowly. Now this is a something I have done in my previous truck many times and it behaved "normally", meaning it reacted the same in reverse starting on a hill as it did if I started on flat ground and moved onto a hill.
Can anybody else, particularly with the V6, test reverse starting on a hill and share your experience with me? Wondering if I have a problem or if this is just how they tune the transmission.

You sure it was 4-5k rpms? That's WAY too much, it should probably not be able to go more than 2-2500 without some serous strain before movement occurs. Do you have any other transmission issue symptoms?

Goatmann

Ram Guru
Reaction score
zero data on the trim level of your truck, obvious question is, was the parking brake released? my laramie has the auto park brake feature, not sure of lower trim levels.

Smerberj

Reaction score
Sounds like your auto-park brake was engaged. It's happened to me before, when you put it in drive or reverse it's SUPPOSED to disengage the parking brake but I have had it on a few occasions where it did not. Hope everything is okay with your truck. ✌

teewodham

Reaction score
Mine is the same way. I back in to my driveway and it is uphill. I've found that if I hold the brake while pressing the gas, them release the brake pedal I can back uphill at a decent pace.

Not sure if the parking sensors are in play or not, but sometimes I get the "safety stop" from the sensors when I back up my driveway without first holding the brake pedal.

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Did you have your driver's side door open when you started backing? I had the same thing happen to me once and it freaked me out. After rethinking my steps I realized it was because I didn't have the seatbelt on and I opened the door while backing. When it happened it threw the warnings; but I wasn't really paying attention to them. I kept giving it gas and it did move some when the RPMs got up there. When I finally figured out what I did; I put the truck back in park, buckled up, and closed the door; everything worked normally from that point.

teewodham

Reaction score
For me, I back up with the door closed and seatbelt on, but I know what you're talking about. I made the "mistake" of trying to back up one time with the door open. These new, safe vehicles don't like for you to be in gear with the door open. :D

Lil'Mike

Reaction score
My truck requires quite a bit of pedal to back into my driveway - which is a decent grade. If I lift my foot off the gas, my truck tends to roll back forward. My 2015 ram didn’t have this trouble, it is certainly not expected, but I’m not sure if it bothers me. I’ve only got 2500 miles on the truck so far.

Users who are viewing this thread