5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Truck Dies Right After Jumpstart

FlyMike

Reaction score
I get back to my '19 1500 Limited after sitting for 3 days and it's dead, reaaalll dead. I hook up my jump starter Gooloo GT4000S, and it fires right up but then dies after a few seconds. Try again and it starts so I rev it a little, thinking I might need to get the alternator going a little more, still dies after a few seconds.
I'm taking a new battery with me when I go back Friday night to see if that fixes it. Had to replace the original a little over a year ago after having a similar issue.

Any ideas as to why it dies a few seconds after starting with the jump starter? Is the battery bad again? Maybe alternator too?

I think I have something that randomly stays on that kills my battery. I had to have the infotainment screen replaced about a year after purchasing since it was stuck in a boot loop and killed the battery. I'm thinking maybe something infotainment related or maybe air ride. I'm going to dig into that once I hopefully get it home.

Last edited:
I am on my 3rd battery, avarega life span has been 1.5 years. 1st one was cover under warranty, after the second one died I went with an agm. Hoping it will last longer. Had the exact same issue you described. New battery was the fix both times.
Dealer was not able to find any issues the 1st time around. Second time I just upgraded battery and didn't take it to the dealer

Most likely that stalling will go away if you can keep it running a little longer.

Modern vehicles have preprogrammed idle settings that slowly adjust to allow for altitude and how dirty the throttle body gets. You just erased that soft memory with the dead battery, so now it has to relearn. If you can keep it running by keeping your foot on the pedal, it will eventually learn again. Just keep it running, then let off to see if it will idle, and if it starts to stall, rev it up again. It can take a while.

The battery booster needs to be configured to act as a surrogate battery, as the original is completely flat. My NOCO booster requires a sequence of button pressing to place it in battery mode in order to keep everything powered after starting.

I get back to my '19 1500 Limited after sitting for 3 days and it's dead, reaaalll dead. I hook up my jump starter Gooloo GT4000S, and it fires right up but then dies after a few seconds. Try again and it starts so I rev it a little, thinking I might need to get the alternator going a little more, still dies after a few seconds.
I'm taking a new battery with me when I go back Friday night to see if that fixes it. Had to replace the original a little over a year ago after having a similar issue.

Any ideas as to why it dies a few seconds after starting with the jump starter? Is the battery bad again? Maybe alternator too?

I think I have something that randomly stays on that kills my battery. I had to have the infotainment screen replaced about a year after purchasing since it was stuck in a boot loop and killed the battery. I'm thinking maybe something infotainment related or maybe air ride. I'm going to dig into that once I hopefully get it home.

Did you check the bolts in the engine bay circuit breaker box, make sure they are all tight. Have you put a volt meter on it to check it's current voltage? Either way, after boosting and starting, shutting down shouldn't be the case even with a low battery.

If it dies immediately after jumping, the alternator is likely bad and not producing voltage. The alternator should produce enough voltage at idle to keep the vehicle running even if the battery is completely flat/all dead cells.
Check the alternators output voltage

Users who are viewing this thread

Back