5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Truck bed campers for 1500

Donnacrockett

Reaction score
I am looking to buy a new big horn for my truck bed camper and want to know if anyone has a 1500 that they have seen or have with one.
I can configure the truck for the payload (thanks to this forum I can lol) that I need and leave me a little extra room but I’m concerned about how the 1500 will handle it as I’m also concerned with fuel efficiency and size if I have to upgrade to the 2500.

the camper weighs 1590 lbs and I think if I forego some of the luxuries I can get the payload to around 1750-1800 but is that good enough?
Any info would be appreciated.

Ramtrx

Reaction score
I am looking to buy a new big horn for my truck bed camper and want to know if anyone has a 1500 that they have seen or have with one.
I can configure the truck for the payload (thanks to this forum I can lol) that I need and leave me a little extra room but I’m concerned about how the 1500 will handle it as I’m also concerned with fuel efficiency and size if I have to upgrade to the 2500.

the camper weighs 1590 lbs and I think if I forego some of the luxuries I can get the payload to around 1750-1800 but is that good enough?
Any info would be appreciated.
Better stick with a 2500. You’re cutting it close.

Kidder

Reaction score
Better stick with a 2500. You’re cutting it close.
Right and when you start putting provisions in the camper, you'll blow through that payload not counting yourself and passengers.

Donnacrockett

Reaction score
Thanks, I definitely know I’m cutting it close but if I can stay in the limits will the 1500 handle the camper ok as far as control and stability?
Only 1 passenger and can definitely strip down gear to a minimum but it will be a long trip, a few months on the road

Ramtrx

Reaction score
If you’re under payload it’s fine. Just remember all the other stuff adds weight. Since you’re so close it is a gamble if you’re worried about being over weight. Peace of mind is more important than stressing.

Ramtrx

Reaction score
Also if you stick to a 1500 get some helper bags to put in the springs.

Donnacrockett

Reaction score
Also if you stick to a 1500 get some helper bags to put in the springs.
Someone else told me that as well, thanks I am looking into that
Thankfully I haven’t ordered either the truck or camper yet so I still have some options

Donnacrockett

Reaction score
Yeah it looks like the 2500 or a lighter truck camper is the safer route to go

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If your Ram was built to put a slide in camper in the bed, you should have an 8-1/2” x 11” white piece of paper with red type that shows the max recommended weight of the camper. Our 2020 Lone Star came with one but our 2019 did not (and was not recommended for hauling one).

Donnacrockett

Reaction score
If your Ram was built to put a slide in camper in the bed, you should have an 8-1/2” x 11” white piece of paper with red type that shows the max recommended weight of the camper. Our 2020 Lone Star came with one but our 2019 did not (and was not recommended for hauling one).
Thanks
What do you mean if my ram was built for, can you have dodge change something so the truck is able?

Dragonmaster13

Reaction score
Looks like you’d be looking for a camper well under 1000lbs. Would leave very little for cargo in the camper when factoring in any passengers considering the average 1500 payload is in the 1400-1500 lb range for a mid range truck. Laramie and limited have payloads as low as the high 900’s when fully optioned, so camper is a no go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pristine1

Reaction score
If you are stuck with going 1500 you could always go tradesman quad cab. Thought that’s around a 2k payload. Not fancy but you’d be in better shape to squeeze by. I’d still go 2500 though for a slide in camper. Ive seen a few on 1500 trucks ever and theyve always looked a little sketchy. I’d go 2500 gas or 3500 diesel. If you ever want to tow a trailer as well at the same time Id go 3500.

Users who are viewing this thread