5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Troubles with Android auto

19Laramie93

Reaction score
Truck has issues connecting to android auto. Via Bluetooth won't work at all. And plugged in via USB it works maybe 20% of the time. And will randomly kick in wile driving if plugged in. I have done everything I can do with settings in phone and truck, also everything is completely up to date and working on the phones end. Is there something I'm missing like an update for the stereo or Is this a common issue? Any ideas would be great.

AndreiV

Reaction score
It all greatly depends on the phone you got I think.
I have 3 year old smart phone LG-G5 and constantly having same issues while my wife's Samsung S9+ works perfectly.
So I convinced myself that it is a phone compatibility problem which should go away once I upgrade my phone.

202snowman

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Truck has issues connecting to android auto. Via Bluetooth won't work at all. And plugged in via USB it works maybe 20% of the time. And will randomly kick in wile driving if plugged in. I have done everything I can do with settings in phone and truck, also everything is completely up to date and working on the phones end. Is there something I'm missing like an update for the stereo or Is this a common issue? Any ideas would be great.
Unless I'm mistaken, since the ram doesn't have wireless android auto, it will never work work over Bluetooth.

If it works 20% of the time plugged in, I'd try a different cable. I've heard quite a few state that changing cables fix their issues.

maddog49

Reaction score
Does it charge when plugged in but android auto will not work? Make sure you don't have power saving turned on. If the truck was built in 2018 your USB hub also may be bad. Same issues here with a s9, replaced the hub and now works 100% of the time.

SynAckuL

Reaction score
In my particular case, it was the cable. I tried using a cheap cable, and Android Auto would never work reliably. There is an actual list of cables that they recommend, so I just purchased one off that list and haven't had issues since.

Regarding Android Auto and Bluetooth - yes it will work, but not the screen mirroring portion. The app will launch on the phone and allow you to control music that way and via Bluetooth controls on the stereo. You will not see the normal Android Auto screen on the stereo, however.

I used these two resources when troubleshooting:

19Laramie93

Reaction score
Does it charge when plugged in but android auto will not work? Make sure you don't have power saving turned on. If the truck was built in 2018 your USB hub also may be bad. Same issues here with a s9, replaced the hub and now works 100% of the time.
Yes it will charge. I'll check out the power save mode and look into the build date thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread