5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trip to Bear Country - Asheville/Pigeon Forge

cervelo15

Reaction score
Hey all, we've booked a trip to Asheville and Pigeon Forge, TN in a couple weeks. Rented one of those mountain 'glamping' cabins in both places. Spending first half of the week in Asheville, then the rest of the week in Pigeon Forge.

From reviews and reports online, we've seen there is a prevalent population of bears around both places. Some come right up to the cabins, others stroll through parking lots. We're from Pennsylvania, so we're no stranger to black bears.

We're taking my truck (because of the hauling capacity), but my question is, has anyone ever had an experience with bears messing with their vehicle parked in either one of these places? My wife and daughter are also concerned about the bears getting into the cabin. Are the online reports true or is this coming from city slickers over-dramatizing because they've never seen a bear in their life?

I'm just concerned I'll wake up one morning to see claw marks running down the side of the truck or around the door handles.

Aside from this, I'm really psyched to get to both of these places because this is right up my alley (my wife is beach only, I'd prefer the mountains and lake).

Thank you all in advance for your help and advice!

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I stay out there pretty regularly (Pigeon Forge, Sevierville, Gatlinburg areas), and haven't had any real problems with the bears. Yes, you'll see them, but they're mostly interested in the trash cans. I've seen them tear up the trash enclosures, trying to get to in.
Just make sure you don't leave any food in the truck, and make sure any/all trash goes into the locking trash cans (or better yet, take them to the local compactors).

cervelo15

Reaction score
I stay out there pretty regularly (Pigeon Forge, Sevierville, Gatlinburg areas), and haven't had any real problems with the bears. Yes, you'll see them, but they're mostly interested in the trash cans. I've seen them tear up the trash enclosures, trying to get to in.
Just make sure you don't leave any food in the truck, and make sure any/all trash goes into the locking trash cans (or better yet, take them to the local compactors).
Awesome, thanks for the info! I'll let my wife and daughter know to make sure to keep the inside of the truck food-free so it doesn't give them any reason to get in there. I think we're even going to explore the grocery delivery option, so we don't have to cart all this food along with us.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Grew up in Knoxville and went there all the time. You'll be fine even taking food with you as long as it's not in the truck (cab or bed). They recognize coolers too, and can smell it through your tonneau cover so they'll tear through that if you leave something particularly enticing in the bed.

Food is their primary concern, and they'll pretty much ignore you for the rest of the time.

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
This.

Clean out the truck well before leaving home. No stray french fries under the seat, no spare pack of gum in the glove box, no vanilla air freshener.

Don't leave anything that looks like a cooler in the truck.

Bears are not stupid. They're not going to tear into a car unless they have a good reason to think there's something good to eat inside.

cervelo15

Reaction score
This.

Clean out the truck well before leaving home. No stray french fries under the seat, no spare pack of gum in the glove box, no vanilla air freshener.

Don't leave anything that looks like a cooler in the truck.

Bears are not stupid. They're not going to tear into a car unless they have a good reason to think there's something good to eat inside.
Lucky for me I'm OCD meticulous about taking care of my truck. Gets vacuumed several times a week, and food isn't really allowed (unless its the chewy variety).

Thank you all for the advice, keep it coming!

JF19Longhorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Stayed outside of Gatlinburg, TN for a week back in April. Neighbors kept telling me there were bears coming upto our vehicles and warned us to keep our motorcycles inside the trailer for fear of he/she tipping them over.. I did not believe them, figured they were pulling my chain. Well it's a good thing we had been using the trailer like a garage anyway.. cause on the 3rd day there I almost walked into a bear while taking out the trash. He/she wasn't 10' from me (between me and the house), patiently waiting for me to put the trash in the can. Wasn't my first bear encounter, and I'm sure it won't be my last... was definitely better than coffee that morning.

I think you'll be fine, just keep the windows closed, and I wouldn't leave any food in the truck.

Users who are viewing this thread