5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trip Computer/Range Calculation

Venom700

Reaction score
Today is my first long highway drive and I noticed the “range” showed between 270 and 279 miles the whole time, despite driving over 90. Is there a chance it’s not recognizing that I have a 33 gallon tank or something? It’s just odd.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There's nothing wrong. Mine does that too.

As you drive the overall fuel economy continuously recalculates. As it goes up the miles to empty goes up due to the higher MPG in the calculation.

It usually takes some time before the miles to empty starts to noticeably go down.

FastBlackRam

Reaction score
Today is my first long highway drive and I noticed the “range” showed between 270 and 279 miles the whole time, despite driving over 90. Is there a chance it’s not recognizing that I have a 33 gallon tank or something? It’s just odd.
That does seem odd. After 90 miles I would expect it to drop more than 9 miles. When I get on the highway mine will maintain the current range or even go up slightly due to the better highway MPG, but that is very temporary and it always starts going down as expected at way less than 90 miles of travel.

jdefoe0424

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you've been doing lots of city driving, short drives from cold, idling etc. it drags your short term MPG down which it uses to calculate your DTE. Then if you get on the highway you're getting higher MPG so that average MPG is going to increase and your DTE is going to increase as well.

Last edited:

Venom700

Reaction score
I have had lots of shorts trips only for the most part until today. Maybe that is it. Got 16.9 mpg on the computer with 4wd auto.

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
That's one of my favorite things.

If I've just been putting around town doing errands and idling at lights, the mileage is low. Then as I get out on the highway and cruise at a steady speed, it improves and the range goes up. I've left the house showing 410 mile range, gone on a lengthy Sunday drive, and pulled into the driveway an hour and a half later showing a 408 mile range.

I joke with my wife about it, when the range jumps up, that eventually gas is going to start spilling out the filler neck. Especially when I fill up in the mountains and reset and then the next half an hour is largely compression braking.

Users who are viewing this thread