5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trinity T2 ex with unlocked pcm install question

Gumpa

Reaction score
So I just got my tuner and unlocked pcm today. I was looking around online for install info and ran into a procedure on the diablo forum:

Basically says that you put in the OBDII gateway bypass, and start tuning with the stock pcm installed. That way you pull your current stock tune into the T2. Then you do the pcm swap and install whatever tune you are going to use. Any of you guys that have the T2 with a spare pcm, is this what you did? The skimpy instructions that came with the unlocked pcm start with swapping the pcm's.

RebelWraith

Polymath
Reaction score
So I just got my tuner and unlocked pcm today. I was looking around online for install info and ran into a procedure on the diablo forum:

Basically says that you put in the OBDII gateway bypass, and start tuning with the stock pcm installed. That way you pull your current stock tune into the T2. Then you do the pcm swap and install whatever tune you are going to use. Any of you guys that have the T2 with a spare pcm, is this what you did? The skimpy instructions that came with the unlocked pcm start with swapping the pcm's.
Yes, you have to get the baseline from the stock PCM first.
I had a pink and a white warning paper in the box explaining this in bold letters. It was not part of the tuning manual.
Beast Projects has a video on YouTube on how to do the install if you need extra assistance. However, the T2 walks you through everything step by step. Prepare to turn the truck from run to off multiple times!

Gumpa

Reaction score
Yes, you have to get the baseline from the stock PCM first.
I had a pink and a white warning paper in the box explaining this in bold letters. It was not part of the tuning manual.
Beast Projects has a video on YouTube on how to do the install if you need extra assistance. However, the T2 walks you through everything step by step. Prepare to turn the truck from run to off multiple times!
Thanks, that's what I needed to know! My pcm came with a pink sheet that says swap the pcm first. Maybe they put the wrong sheet in the box. I'm not sure when I'll get to this install, doing my rear drop springs/air bags and Hellwig sway bar right now!

For those that aren't familiar with tuning these pcm locked mopars, basically you need three items- a tuner, an unlocked pcm (the oem one that's been unlocked or a second one) and an OBDII gateway bypass. You get all three in the box from Diablo, each with its own instructions that never mention the other two items. There are no instructions for the whole install or what to do when. What did I expect for $1040?? I figured someone on the forum would know- thanks Rebel!

RebelWraith

Polymath
Reaction score
Thanks, that's what I needed to know! My pcm came with a pink sheet that says swap the pcm first. Maybe they put the wrong sheet in the box. I'm not sure when I'll get to this install, doing my rear drop springs/air bags and Hellwig sway bar right now!

For those that aren't familiar with tuning these pcm locked mopars, basically you need three items- a tuner, an unlocked pcm (the oem one that's been unlocked or a second one) and an OBDII gateway bypass. You get all three in the box from Diablo, each with its own instructions that never mention the other two items. There are no instructions for the whole install or what to do when. What did I expect for $1040?? I figured someone on the forum would know- thanks Rebel!
Sorry to hear yours was missing the right paperwork. Let me know if you have any other questions. Happy to help.

Stryker6040

Reaction score
Did you guys have a hell of a time completing the process from start to finish when following the steps in the order they say?

Stryker6040

Reaction score
Also did you diablo canned tunes come with a performance trans option?

Gumpa

Reaction score
I have not installed yet, need to clear up a couple issues at the dealer next week. I'll do it after that.

Also got a late response from Diablo on Wednesday confirming that the procedure outlined on the Diablo forum is correct and that I should have received another instruction sheet. Also now I see this on their website on the T2 page:
NOTE: ON 2019 MODEL YEAR VEHICLES, YOU MUST SAVE YOUR STOCK CALIBRATION WITH YOUR TUNING DEVICE BEFORE REMOVING THE STOCK PCM FROM THE VEHICLE. PLEASE REFER TO THE INSTRUCTIONS THAT COME WITH YOUR UNLOCKED PCM.

They don't list trans tune except for this mention of torque management in the list of features:
  • 93 Octane Performance Tune: 33HP 28TQ
  • 91 Octane Performance Tune: 26HP 22TQ
  • 87 Octane Performance Tune: 8HP 10TQ
  • Touch Screen - Y
  • WiFi Updates - Y
  • Data Logging - Y
  • Check Clear DTCs - Y
  • 5 Volt Data Logging Inputs - Y
  • Accepts Custom Tunes from CMR - Y
  • Calibrate Speedo for Tire Size - Y
  • Cooling Fan Control - Y
  • Disable Traction Control - Y
  • Throttle Booster - Y
  • Fuel Rich/Lean Adjustment - Y
  • Spark Timing Advance/Retard - Y
  • Idle RPM - Y
  • Top Speed Limiter - Y
  • Rev Limiter - Y
  • Torque Management Adjustment - Automatically Adjusted
  • Disable Active Fuel Management - Y
  • Disable Auto Start/Stop - Y
There is one customer review of the 91 tune that mentions crisp shifts so I'm guessing they dial back the torque management in their canned tunes but we will have no direct control of it.

RebelWraith

Polymath
Reaction score
Also did you diablo canned tunes come with a performance trans option?
Wouldn't say it is difficult, but all the on/off cycles can be tedious.

You do have the option with the DS Trinity to tune the transmission. However, any transmission tuning is visible to the dealer even if you switch back to your stock PCM. So, your powertrain warranty would most likely be voided. Do at your own risk.

Stryker6040

Reaction score
Wouldn't say it is difficult, but all the on/off cycles can be tedious.

You do have the option with the DS Trinity to tune the transmission. However, any transmission tuning is visible to the dealer even if you switch back to your stock PCM. So, your powertrain warranty would most likely be voided. Do at your own risk.
So its normal out of the box to have a trans tune Option? Im still looking at which tuning route i am gonna go either jay green or hemifever

Gumpa

Reaction score
I installed Thursday evening, no issues. The tuner tells you exactly what to do, and it matched the instructions I had gotten from the forum.

I installed the 91 tune, it's definitely snappier than it was, seems like it doesn't do so much torque management. I might go back to stock again just to compare. Not sure it would be worth $1040 for those 26 horses, but this is not the end game for me. I will be doing a custom tune from Jay Greene after I install longtube headers.

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
^^^^ you are correct. For what you pay and get seems lopsided. It is a essential move forward tho for future mods that will gain much much more.

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I installed Thursday evening, no issues. The tuner tells you exactly what to do, and it matched the instructions I had gotten from the forum.

I installed the 91 tune, it's definitely snappier than it was, seems like it doesn't do so much torque management. I might go back to stock again just to compare. Not sure it would be worth $1040 for those 26 horses, but this is not the end game for me. I will be doing a custom tune from Jay Greene after I install longtube headers.
I’m thinking about doing long tube headers with my procharger and getting a custom Greene tune too

Stryker6040

Reaction score
Just wanted to give DiabloSport a big shout out. My truck had some sort of communication failure while using the the unlocked/modified pcm along with the t2, to the point that the original pcm was not working either, had to have truck towed to dealership for repairs. Long story short diablosport sent me a return label ups 2 day with an RMA to send the pcm and t2 back to them for reprogramming and then sent to back to me overnight. they took care of this at no charge to me and then even were willing to walk me through the reinstall process to make sure there was no issues, all went smoother the second time then the original time installing. So just wanted to pass along this positive customer service interaction and hugh props to DS and Rick with DS tech support.

Users who are viewing this thread