5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trinity 2 Always On?

ANARCHER

Reaction score
Hey guys (and gals),

I did a quick search but didn't see anything. I did see some messages on other boards when searching Google, for other Rams (primarily 4th gen) where they were having the same issue. I'm not knew to electronics (EE in my senior year with 20+ years military/civilian experience in diagnosing/repairing electronics to component level) as well as working with a leading team in ECU editing products for motorcycles along with having other Diablosport products for my 17 Durango and 3rd gen Ram. So I don't believe this to be a user error, but anything's possible I suppose.

The issue I'm having is with Diablosport's Pulsar + Trinity combo I just bought a few weeks ago for my 2021 Limited. Both are fully up to date with firmware, both are installed correctly, both seem to work correctly as I am able to see live data and make changes to the power mode level via the Trinity display. I do have a Taser DT, but the issue still exists even with the Taser eliminated from the equation.

But what isn't working is the Trinity shutting off with the ignition off. I have tried several variations including shutting the truck off, locking it, dropping they key FOB off inside the house and waiting 30 minutes while cleaning up the garage. The damn thing still stays on.

In the aforementioned Google search I saw posts from Diablosport to set the screen timeout to 0 or 2 minutes. Tried both. Which the 2 minute setting does shut off the display - but it also shuts off the display when driving. What's the purpose of having the extra gauges to monitor if I have to touch it every two minutes to stay on?

I think, although I haven't checked, but I am willing to bet that the CAN Hi and Lo lines on the OBD port are hot all the time? So since the CAN lines are always hot, anything plugged into it will instantly turn on. I'm thinking even with the display off, using their suggested 2 minute time out I stumbled across on another forum, the unit is still on still contributing to a parasitic loss draining the battery. I figured I'd reach out quick to see if anyone is seeing, or experienced anything similar before I bust out the DMM/OScope and build a patch cable to monitor what is happening there once the ignition is off. So far my attempts at contacting Diablosport has resulted in an 0 for 2 record for me as they have yet to respond to the 2 support requests sent in several business days apart.

About the only thing I haven't tried yet, is to try moving the Trinity to my Durango or 3rd gen Ram to see if the similar issue exists. Only reason I haven't tried is I am not sure if the Trinity is married to one ECU or not and whether or not it will be unable to used on my other Dodges without procuring any other licenses for them.

Thanks in advance for anything you guys got for me!

dearchristopher

Reaction score
have you messed with the menu timeout in the settings? i have mine set to “1” and it seemed to correlate to intended functionality.

I am having this same exact issue. I will say that i **did** get the trinity to shut off shortly after the ignition powered off twice. then i messed with the gauges and loaded my stock tune from my locked pcm, and the trinity reset itself. now it doesn’t want to turn off with ignition anymore.

searching isn’t really getting me many results. weird. at least nice to see you are experiencing the same.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dearchristopher

Reaction score
update: i left it unplugged over night. plugged it back in at 4:45a today, and drove my commute to work. pulled up at 5:15a and shut the truck off. the trinity stayed on for about 15-20 seconds, then shut off.

i will keep you updated, seems like it sorta…worked itself out?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ANARCHER

Reaction score
Hrm - thanks for confirming I wasn't losing my mind - but damn you for 'fixing' it! :)

Just playing - good to hear it's working for you.

I will try changing the timeout to 1 - and see if I can replicate. Diablosport recommended 0 or 2 on another message board, which seemed odd as 0 would keep it on indefinitely and 2, would shut it off after 2 minutes of not touching it. And I'm not swapping between power modes that often :)

Bit busy the past week and this weekend won't be any different.

dearchristopher

Reaction score
Hrm - thanks for confirming I wasn't losing my mind - but damn you for 'fixing' it! :)

Just playing - good to hear it's working for you.

I will try changing the timeout to 1 - and see if I can replicate. Diablosport recommended 0 or 2 on another message board, which seemed odd as 0 would keep it on indefinitely and 2, would shut it off after 2 minutes of not touching it. And I'm not swapping between power modes that often :)

Bit busy the past week and this weekend won't be any different.

haha i am not without fault. i tapped the screen when my truck was off, and the damn thing started up and wouldn’t turn off again. damn thing is picky.

surprised they’d recommend 0. i had mine on zero thinking it would immediately shut off and it didn’t do that. stayed on forever like you said it would.

honestly i’m testing out how much i want the gauge function anyway. you can monitor some cool PIDs, but i don’t see myself doing it much. i may try to find another spot for it, or just put it away when i’m not changing the tune.

are you using canned tunes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dearchristopher

Reaction score
the plot thickens. trinity has been turning off when it’s supposed to.

stopped to get gas this morning and my amp step didn’t deploy. tested a few times and no luck. unplugged the trinity and my step shot out like normal.

guess that means i’m not monitoring my truck all the time. lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread