5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Transporting Dog

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deriggs007

Reaction score
I've got to figure something out for this tomorrow.

I have about a 30 pound Pit/Collie mix that's coming with us to the beach (2 hour drive) for 3 days and I have 3 kids that will be filling up the back seats, so she'll have to be in the floor. I don't want her in the bed for safety reasons, even though I disagree with Dog Hauler. I've had at least 30 dogs in my days, and every single one of them was super happy to be in the bed growing up and loved the weather. We aren't stupid. I'm not going to put a dog in the bed of a truck at 0 degree weather, or 100 degree weather. But 60's, 70's... hell, I would prefer to be in the bed if I could pull it off lol.

Anyways, she's going to be on the floor so I need to find some sort of small travel kennel that will fit her and allow the seats to still be all the way down. As much as I want her to be free in the back floorboard, she's about 1yr's old and super hyper and will NOT stay on the floor unless she's in the kennel, unfortunately.

Bhbdvm

Reaction score
Soft crate are helpful, comfortable, and more malleable to obstructions or take advantage of the tie downs on the back floor board attached to a harness. If needed, discuss options with your veterinarian to address any anxiety during traveling.

andyc16

Reaction score
I use doggie seat protectors from here: https://www.covercraft.com/us/en/seat-covers/canine-seat-protectors. They look good and fit pretty well. Even after years of regularly transporting my pups, the seats in my vehicles always look new when the cover is removed.

Sure, dogs shed. It's what they do. And you must clean the seat cover from time to time (vacuum first, then wash in a normal washing machine) but it's a small price to pay for having your best friend along for the ride.

I wonder if folks who worry about their dogs damaging the seats in their vehicles transport kids in those same seats. Talk about trashing the seat. And the whole car for that matter.
Hey Dog Hauler, Do you have any pics of the cover craft seat protectors? how is the fitment? I am leaning towards these but id like to get some feedback before dropping that much coin. I know the universal ones are cheaper but I feel like it would just turn into more of a headache than its worth over custom fit covers.

Rampat

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Please keep the conversation civil as personal attacks are not allowed on this forum
I use doggie seat protectors from here: https://www.covercraft.com/us/en/seat-covers/canine-seat-protectors. They look good and fit pretty well. Even after years of regularly transporting my pups, the seats in my vehicles always look new when the cover is removed.

Sure, dogs shed. It's what they do. And you must clean the seat cover from time to time (vacuum first, then wash in a normal washing machine) but it's a small price to pay for having your best friend along for the ride.

I wonder if folks who worry about their dogs damaging the seats in their vehicles transport kids in those same seats. Talk about trashing the seat. And the whole car for that matter.

Good god get off your damn soap box.

1. Small hypoallergenic dogs can ride in my cab.

2. 100 pound German shepherds will ride in my bed. Period.

3. Any dog I’ve ever had will not and have not ever gotten in or out of any car/truck/cab/bed without permission. It’s called training.

4. My kids have not ever come close to trashing any of my vehicles. When in car seats I had rear seat protectors and back of front seat protectors just in case, but never needed. Aside from spit ups when babies that only got the car seat dirty we have never had issues (also no food or drink besides water in sippy cups allowed in my truck).

5. I honestly could not care what you think of “knuckle draggers” like me. Go **** your self.

surfingcrna

Reaction score
Good god get off your **** soap box.

1. Small hypoallergenic dogs can ride in my cab.

2. 100 pound German shepherds will ride in my bed. Period.

3. Any dog I’ve ever had will not and have not ever gotten in or out of any car/truck/cab/bed without permission. It’s called training.

4. My kids have not ever come close to trashing any of my vehicles. When in car seats I had rear seat protectors and back of front seat protectors just in case, but never needed. Aside from spit ups when babies that only got the car seat dirty we have never had issues (also no food or drink besides water in sippy cups allowed in my truck).

5. I honestly could not care what you think of “knuckle draggers” like me. Go **** your self.
Don't have a horse in this race but you seem more on your soap box then the other person. Your post was way more aggressive than theirs. The dogs just need to be safe in case of an accident. Having those little dogs sitting on the driver to me is a wreck waiting to happen, and had been. Seems a dumb risk to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread