5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Transmission may be slipping or something else is the problem

Brasswheel

Reaction score
I'm not sure this is the the right forum but I've been searching about an hour so here it goes. About a week ago my 2021 1500 Eco Diesel transmission (3.21 gears- 13,000 miles) started shuttering when first taking off (backing and pulling forward). After warming up it quits. Now if warmed up going straight it doesn't do it but if your turning and take off it does it almost ever time. It kinda of sounds like when your in 4X4 mode and drive on pavement and the front wheels slips when turning. I took it to the dealer for a windshield replacement and had them check it out. Couldn't duplicate problem, no codes so no problem. Advice given from 2 Service Advisors was change rear end fluid and I owned a 2014 Eco Diesel and it did the same thing probably have to live with it. Anyone with the same or similar problem? I new to the Ram/Eco Diesel family and any input would be appreciated.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Do you have the limited slip differential? They are quite common to groan, shudder, drag wheels when turning. If so, a bottle of friction modifier might help. Or not. My Dakota has done forever and I just got used to it.

stronbl

Reaction score
Not sure if this helps as it may be apples to oranges but I have 3.92 rear with e-locker on my 2020 1500 eco diesel and I do not get the sensations or sounds you mention. I currently have about 23,000 miles and it is smooth in operation regardless of cold start or warm.

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This just started doing it a week ago?

Yeah, not normal. I'd drain the rear diff, replace the fluid, add the slip modifier. I'd also drain the transmission, replace the pan (filter built into it), and refill with appropriate ZF fluid. (There's more out there other than Mopar fluid.)

If that doesn't do it...you've got $$$ issues.

OR...keep pestering the dealer until they duplicate it.

Regardless, it's not normal. Don't just live with it.

cdsons

Reaction score
I'm not sure this is the the right forum but I've been searching about an hour so here it goes. About a week ago my 2021 1500 Eco Diesel transmission (3.21 gears- 13,000 miles) started shuttering when first taking off (backing and pulling forward). After warming up it quits. Now if warmed up going straight it doesn't do it but if your turning and take off it does it almost ever time. It kinda of sounds like when your in 4X4 mode and drive on pavement and the front wheels slips when turning. I took it to the dealer for a windshield replacement and had them check it out. Couldn't duplicate problem, no codes so no problem. Advice given from 2 Service Advisors was change rear end fluid and I owned a 2014 Eco Diesel and it did the same thing probably have to live with it. Anyone with the same or similar problem? I new to the Ram/Eco Diesel family and any input would be appreciated.
Mine is a 2020 and it does the same thing, it happens sporadically especially when backing out of a parking spot. It actually feels like bad u-joints, but that's not the case in my instance. I have 30k miles on mine and need to get it in to the dealership to have it looked at. As you said, It will probably be hard to replicate as it happens randomly and then will not occur again for weeks and weeks. My truck is a 2020 Laramie ecodiesel with the 3.21 4x4 with offroad package.

Louhound88

Reaction score
Do you guys have 4wd? I haven't experienced what you describing but at times I swear the 4wd is still engaged after i've switched back to 2wd. Especially noticeable when turning.

If i switch to 4wd auto while driving in rain i can tell when the front goes active while trying to turn. But sometimes after switching back to 2wd I still feel it. Have to go to neutral to get out.

Paulie

Reaction score
I‘m experiencing the same thing. It definitely reminds me of being in 4wd on dry pavement. It is much more noticeable when towing. Only seems to happen when making a turn from a stop. 2021 Limited eco diesel 4wd 31,000 mi. Has anyone had any luck with a diagnosis?

Snekpete

Reaction score
Do you have the limited slip differential? They are quite common to groan, shudder, drag wheels when turning. If so, a bottle of friction modifier might help. Or not. My Dakota has done forever and I just got used to it.
This is the correct solution. All limited slip rear differentials start doing this eventually. An e locker will not do this when it is disengaged. Replacing the differential fluid with a lower weight full synthetic with an extra dose of friction modifier will help but the shudder will eventually return.

Reactions: c3k

Users who are viewing this thread