5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Transmission fluid service

Ramdeathstar

Reaction score
First and foremost, that "lifetime" crap is ridiculous. I called 2 dealerships and they tried telling me the transmission is lifetime and does not need to be serviced. EVERY TRANSMISSION NEEDS SERVICING. There are gears, bearings, constantly moving and grinding, so yes service your damn transmissions and tell those dealerships they're idiots. Now, has anyone used the Dorman transmission pan part number: 265-850? I want to make sure it has good reviews before I go ahead and pull the trigger on an AEM part.

Working at a dealer, we recommend a flush/fluid exchange at 60k miles and pan at 120k. Is it ideal, no. They have made the trans so expensive to service most people will not service them.

I think the fluid is $400 and a pan/filter combo is like $200, right? I’d rather spend $600 every 60,000 miles than have to buy a transmission and pay labor for installation. There’s a good video online about how to do it. The tech/teacher in the video is working on a Chrysler car, but it’s the same trans and same procedure on the Rams.

I would follow ZFs recommendation for the ZF8 transmission, which is 50-60K service. There should be a service department (non-RAM) that would do your ZF service. I plan on doing mine at 50K.

My BMW independent service shop can handle it, since the procedure is the same. They just need to make sure they have a OBD reader that works with my RAM to confirm tranny temp for the refill.

There should be a service department (non-RAM) that would do your ZF service.
You know there are actually dealers that service the transmissions. But yes there are many other shops that can do it too.

You know there are actually dealers that service the transmissions. But yes there are many other shops that can do it too.

Sure, but I was referencing his specific situation where his two local dealers won't do it.

Also for myself, because I don't trust my local RAM dealer to do my oil change, I won't trust them to do my tranny either, assuming they even do it. My BMW independent shop has been with me for about 20 years, them I trust.

Friend of mine took his in for Fluid /Pan/Filter .. told me how much it cost. WOW! I guess he did not know the Pan is the filter .. After, I looked under and saw the same dirty pan he had... Dealer just flushed the fluid from the radiator.. You cannot trust anyone anymore.. I do ALL my own services on all my vehicles myself . I have my own Lift in my Shop

My son has an Alfa Romeo with the 8-speed ZF 8HP transmission. It has the same valve body as our trucks. (I'm sure some gears/clutches are different. At least, I'd like to think so.)

Anyway, the pan/filter is identical to ours. I bought a BMW-spec pan for ~$120 and Liqui-Moly brand ZF approved fluid (TopTec 1800 Synthetic ATF) for ~$80 (double the volume of fluid I ended up needing). So, all in ~$200 for a filter swap and a fluid drain/refill. (And enough fluid leftover for a second drain/fill.)

Here's the LiquiMoly link: Top Tec ATF 1800
(That link shows their (inflated) MSRP of $27 a liter. That's wrong! FCP Euro sells it for less than $9 a liter.)

The pan IS a ZF pan. Not a knock-off or off-brand. It is manufactured by ZF, but marketed for a BMW. (Maybe a 3 series?)

BMW-spec pan because it had the cheapest cost of a pan/filter for the same ZF valve body. When I pulled my son's pan off and compared it to the new one, they were identical: same bolts, gasket, internal baffles, magnet numbers and placement, and filter.

The biggest hassle is the temperature requirements for the fill. It's probably not really necessary, but they spec a fill temp range. Don't quote me, but I think it's like 140-145F up to the bottom of the fill hole. (Fluids change volume with temperature. I have no idea what the coefficient of expansion is for this ATF, but since it's under warranty, I'll do it how they say. Someone heated some up and showed the difference. Hmmm....something to do on the stovetop next week...)

A drain and fill only gets about 1/2 the fluid. I'll drain and fill my truck twice at each 40k with a single pan/filter swap. (1/2 twice means 3/4 fresh fluid.)

Last edited:
Friend of mine took his in for Fluid /Pan/Filter .. told me how much it cost. WOW! I guess he did not know the Pan is the filter .. After, I looked under and saw the same dirty pan he had... Dealer just flushed the fluid from the radiator.. You cannot trust anyone anymore.. I do ALL my own services on all my vehicles myself . I have my own Lift in my Shop
Man that is a cool story, I can almost believe everything you said there.

If you own the truck, you will do no harm by having it done. In fact, the real harm is waiting too long. The filter and pan are integrated. One of the things I've learned about automatic transmissions is consistently, and early, replace the fluid and filters because later on, the trans can be failing and that dirty fluid could be the only thing holding it together. What happens then is someone goes to have the recommended service at 100k and they soon after find the trans slipping, missing shifts, etc. This is because the fluid has been degrading, the trans is wearing, but all the fibers and metal in the oil keep it going.

My father has a 2006 Ram 2500 with a 48RE trans. He went 260k in miles before a rebuild was needed. The guys in the shop were amazed and said they had never seen a 48RE go that long. The reason was because right at 40k in miles he put a heat-sink pan with drain and had the fluid flushed/changed every 20-30k in miles after.

My 2019 Rebel has 48k and I am pretty sure I am going to bite the bullet and do it myself around 50k which is right around where you want to start the maintenance habit.

Reactions: c3k
Drivetrain warranty is 6 yr/60k miles. ZF recommended change interval is 60k miles. Ram says "lifetime" fluid. I'm sure it's just a coincidence.

I thought the drivetrain is 5 years (and 60K miles) for gas vehicles?

The guys who designed this transmission say every 100,000km (62k miles). Thats what I'm going with.

When I had my Grand Cherokee with the same trans the Jeep dealer service department kept insisting it was lifetime, when I asked them about ZFs recommendation, they just said "well this is a Chrysler transmission and thats not needed". I told them thats nonsense as its 100% designed by ZF, some components are ZF and in the case of my Grand Cherokee it was built by ZF (some 2014/15s had ZF built units).

The guys who designed this transmission say every 100,000km (62k miles). Thats what I'm going with.

When I had my Grand Cherokee with the same trans the Jeep dealer service department kept insisting it was lifetime, when I asked them about ZFs recommendation, they just said "well this is a Chrysler transmission and thats not needed". I told them thats nonsense as its 100% designed by ZF, some components are ZF and in the case of my Grand Cherokee it was built by ZF (some 2014/15s had ZF built units).
Did you puff your chest up and beat on the desk?
The employee is doing exactly as the manufacturer has stated, filled for life. If you already knew what ZF said why even bother the dealership?

Did you puff your chest up and beat on the desk?
Of course not. I'm not a Neanderthal. Not sure why you'd assume that.

The employee is doing exactly as the manufacturer has stated, filled for life. If you already knew what ZF said why even bother the dealership?
I was asking them to service it, is that a bother to ask for service?

For the record they didn't even want to service it, so I just did it myself. I do know now some dealers will service them.

For me at least, unless I was confident my dealer is happy to do it, and they state they have done them regularly, I would not even bother trusting them to get it right.

I would find a service shop that is experienced with ZF8 servicing, which is most likely an independent BMW service shop or international/European/Foreign service shops who have done these services regularly.

For me at least, unless I was confident my dealer is happy to do it, and they state they have done them regularly, I would not even bother trusting them to get it right.

I would find a service shop that is experienced with ZF8 servicing, which is most likely an independent BMW service shop or international/European/Foreign service shops who have done these services regularly.

Realistically any good trans shop can do it. To your point, I trust places like that more to do it right. I will say, ZF seems to make very good transmissions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back