5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Transmission 'disengages' while stopped in Drive

HazMatt

Reaction score
I have a 23 Laramie 5.7 e-torque with about 17k miles on it. For the first 10k or so miles, I used the stop/start feature, but got sick of it after a while in stop and go traffic as it made the experience pretty herky-jerky. Since then, first step after starting the truck on every drive is to disable stop/start.

Since doing this, I've noticed that after coming to a stop for a decent amount of time (i.e. at a stop light), the transmission seems to 'disengage' even though it is still in drive. When I go to lift my foot of the brake, there's a jerk in the drive line as it seems to re-engage. Makes it really hard to get going smoothly. I've also noticed that it will do the same when shifting from Park to Drive. Shift to Drive, no perceptible engagement, lift my foot off the brake, and the jerk/engagement happens. No codes or check engine light.

I mention the stop/start thing above because the transmission could have doing this while I was using stop/start, but the jerk/engagement was covered up by the sensation of the engine starting again.

Has anyone else experienced this? Wondering if this is something wrong with the transmission, or part of the e-torque/'eco' programming to take strain off the motor when sitting at a stop. Haven't had it out to a dealer yet (my next step), but wanted to see other's experiences before I get a "normal/can't replicate" from the lovely Ram service department.

Thanks in advance,
-Matt

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have a 23 Laramie 5.7 e-torque with about 17k miles on it. For the first 10k or so miles, I used the stop/start feature, but got sick of it after a while in stop and go traffic as it made the experience pretty herky-jerky. Since then, first step after starting the truck on every drive is to disable stop/start.

Since doing this, I've noticed that after coming to a stop for a decent amount of time (i.e. at a stop light), the transmission seems to 'disengage' even though it is still in drive. When I go to lift my foot of the brake, there's a jerk in the drive line as it seems to re-engage. Makes it really hard to get going smoothly. I've also noticed that it will do the same when shifting from Park to Drive. Shift to Drive, no perceptible engagement, lift my foot off the brake, and the jerk/engagement happens. No codes or check engine light.

I mention the stop/start thing above because the transmission could have doing this while I was using stop/start, but the jerk/engagement was covered up by the sensation of the engine starting again.

Has anyone else experienced this? Wondering if this is something wrong with the transmission, or part of the e-torque/'eco' programming to take strain off the motor when sitting at a stop. Haven't had it out to a dealer yet (my next step), but wanted to see other's experiences before I get a "normal/can't replicate" from the lovely Ram service department.

Thanks in advance,
-Matt
Try turning off hill assist and see if that changes anything. Outside of that, take it in to the dealer.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score

Thanks in advance,
-Matt
Disabling stop start doesn’t disable etorque. One of the functions of etorque is to assist your movement from dead stop by turning the wheels 1/2 turn as soon as you let the brake go. I think this is what you’re feeling imo.

HazMatt

Reaction score
Try turning off hill assist and see if that changes anything. Outside of that, take it in to the dealer.
Will give that a go, thanks for the suggestion.

Disabling stop start doesn’t disable etorque. One of the functions of etorque is to assist your movement from dead stop by turning the wheels 1/2 turn as soon as you let the brake go. I think this is what you’re feeling imo.
Appreciate the input, and understand that e-torque is still active, but feels like a very different sensation than just some assistance from the electric motor. Every automatic transmission car I have ever drive 'loads up' the drive train as soon as you put it in drive with your foot on the brake. That feeling of you holding back the car trying to move forward. My truck isn't doing that as long as I have my foot on the brake. When I let go of the brake (no pressure on the gas pedal), that's when it feels like drive train loads up, but it's very abrupt.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Will give that a go, thanks for the suggestion.

Appreciate the input, and understand that e-torque is still active, but feels like a very different sensation than just some assistance from the electric motor. Every automatic transmission car I have ever drive 'loads up' the drive train as soon as you put it in drive with your foot on the brake. That feeling of you holding back the car trying to move forward. My truck isn't doing that as long as I have my foot on the brake. When I let go of the brake (no pressure on the gas pedal), that's when it feels like drive train loads up, but it's very abrupt.
I see what you’re saying. There will be a load on an automatic transmission because the torque converter continue to receive pressure, but the turbine stops spinning when the brake is applied at a complete stop.

So you can creep using the brake at all?

Nsleone

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Any chance what you’re feeling is play developing in the driveshaft? My truck is at 74k miles and I’ve noticed it has a little jerk sometimes after sitting at a light. I’m the same as you in terms of the stop start I turn it off immediately and have been since about 40k miles. I’m almost positive the play I’ve got is in the driveshaft maybe it’s similar to yours.

HazMatt

Reaction score
So you can creep using the brake at all?
Not without taking my foot almost entirely off the brake, which I then get the lurch before it starts creeping.

Any chance what you’re feeling is play developing in the driveshaft? My truck is at 74k miles and I’ve noticed it has a little jerk sometimes after sitting at a light. I’m the same as you in terms of the stop start I turn it off immediately and have been since about 40k miles. I’m almost positive the play I’ve got is in the driveshaft maybe it’s similar to yours.
So, I do have play in the drive line, another piece of the puzzle. A couple weeks go I noticed a 'clank' starting to develop in the drive line. It's there anytime I shift into drive, drive to reverse, and about 50% of the time I take off from a stop. Thought it might be a bad u-joint (unlikely at 17k miles, but you never know), so yesterday I jacked up the rear end of the trunk to track it down and found the source as the rear axle. There is a good amount of play and I could re-create the 'clank' by moving the drive shaft back and forth.

That said, I don't think that is the cause of the issue but instead a result. IMO, the constant jerky engagement of the drive line is causing something to go south in the rear-end. If the play was the cause, the drive line would still 'load up' when in drive with my foot on the brake, which it is definitely not.

Checked this and it was already disabled.

Trip to the dealer is in my very near future, just have to find one in the Houston area with a service department that doesn't suck (purchased the truck from Mark Dodge). I should mention, the truck is 100% stock, so hopefully no hassles from the dealer.

Thanks for in the input everyone.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Maybe a u joint or something in the rear end. You should be able to check it by jacking up the rear and trying to turn the wheels by hand to see how much play there is

Nsleone

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not without taking my foot almost entirely off the brake, which I then get the lurch before it starts creeping.

So, I do have play in the drive line, another piece of the puzzle. A couple weeks go I noticed a 'clank' starting to develop in the drive line. It's there anytime I shift into drive, drive to reverse, and about 50% of the time I take off from a stop. Thought it might be a bad u-joint (unlikely at 17k miles, but you never know), so yesterday I jacked up the rear end of the trunk to track it down and found the source as the rear axle. There is a good amount of play and I could re-create the 'clank' by moving the drive shaft back and forth.

That said, I don't think that is the cause of the issue but instead a result. IMO, the constant jerky engagement of the drive line is causing something to go south in the rear-end. If the play was the cause, the drive line would still 'load up' when in drive with my foot on the brake, which it is definitely not.

Checked this and it was already disabled.

Trip to the dealer is in my very near future, just have to find one in the Houston area with a service department that doesn't suck (purchased the truck from Mark Dodge). I should mention, the truck is 100% stock, so hopefully no hassles from the dealer.

Thanks for in the input everyone.
Oh dang a rear diff making that play doesn’t sound fun, now I wonder if I’ve got the same :/

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
so yesterday I jacked up the rear end of the trunk to track it down and found the source as the rear axle. There is a good amount of play and I could re-create the 'clank' by moving the drive shaft back and forth.
My rebel has had that slop in the rear diff. from the day one. Has held up so far but nothing is guaranteed.
As far as the tranny feeling like it is going to neutral at the stops, no idea except maybe needing a software flash?

Jmac509

Reaction score
I'm not sure if I'm experiencing the same thing or not but I just rolled into 17k miles and I am experiencing a shock or harsh shift on my initial roll or from 1st to 2nd when driving casually at low speeds. If I take off with a bit more throttle everything works smoothly but when I'm in a low speed residential area and I slowly pull away from a stop sign the shift is harsh. It's also noticeable sometimes in low speed stop and go traffic.

I didn't remember this being a thing for the first 15k miles because it's happened a few times now and I'm alarmed every time it happens. I find it odd that more throttle take offs seem to be smoother than slow take offs.

HazMatt

Reaction score
I'm not sure if I'm experiencing the same thing or not but I just rolled into 17k miles and I am experiencing a shock or harsh shift on my initial roll or from 1st to 2nd when driving casually at low speeds. If I take off with a bit more throttle everything works smoothly but when I'm in a low speed residential area and I slowly pull away from a stop sign the shift is harsh. It's also noticeable sometimes in low speed stop and go traffic.

I didn't remember this being a thing for the first 15k miles because it's happened a few times now and I'm alarmed every time it happens. I find it odd that more throttle take offs seem to be smoother than slow take offs.
That's what getting me right now, can't really remember if it's always been a thing I've just now been noticing or actually a new problem.

More throttle unfortunately makes my issue feel worse, otherwise I'd say Mash the Gas!

Service appointment next week, we'll see how it goes.

Jmac509

Reaction score
Keep me posted. I definitely do not enjoy feeling a drive train jerk when I'm trying to drive smoothly.

I hope mine doesn't get worse but currently I believe if I took it into the dealer they would tell me it's normal operation.

If it becomes predictable and reliable I'll stop in for a service.

I don't recall ever experiencing this in the 2019-2022 non etorque trucks.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I wonder if cleaning the throttle body would help with any of this. It seems to help with the transmission issue of another thread. Just a thought

Jmac509

Reaction score
For me it feels like the transition from the E torque to the gas motor is harsh. It appears when I leave slowly like creeping forward in stop and go traffic like when you are at a stop sign and you just need to move the truck one or two car lengths at a time at low speed. Watching my gear shift indicator it happens when I'm still in 1st. I'll start rolling then its a shock and then I'll keep rolling. But to add onto this I've had a few unusually hard shifts from 1st to 2nd too. It's not consistent. Usually everything is completely smooth while driving during shifting.

Users who are viewing this thread