5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Transmission disengaged while coasting down a hill, would not reengage and accelerate

RebelRamWB19

Reaction score
While driving my 2019 Ram Rebel disengaged out of drive after coasting down a hill. When I went to accelerate up the next hill, the engine just revved, and the dash lit up light a Christmas tree. I was barely able to coast off to the right, narrowly rear ended by following traffic. Once stopped, I placed the vehicle in park then tried to reinstate Drive. The engine only revved and it rolled backwards, while in D. So, I turned the dial to N then over to R. I released the brake and again it did not engage but started rolling backward. When I placed it back to Park, a message appeared telling me that I needed to reduce speed in order to engage Park. I was not moving so there was no speed to reduce. The engine was just idling unless I pressed the gas pedal. After several attempts to rectify, shutting the engine off and trying over again and again, I finally opted for a tow.

Once I was unloaded at home, I tried again and found the transmission would engage but very hard, in R and D. It also sounds clunky. So, it is sitting in the driveway (my $47,000 yard art) until service can fit me in next week. I just hit 84,000 miles. I hope whatever this is can be considered a lemon and covered seeing all of the other problems out there. Thanks for any and all input everyone.

Users who are viewing this thread