5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trans tune corrupted PCM

392DCGC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Anyone dealt with PCM issues? I used an Alientech PG3 to tune my trans. I successfully flashed the transmission twice - once with the tune, then again back to stock. The third attempt was to apply the tune again, but after a few seconds, the write process errored out and seems to have corrupted my PCM. I am getting a U0101 code stating no data connection to the transmission control module, and the dash is full of errors.

The truck will not start, and I cannot write to the PCM anymore. I have tried clearing codes, pulling the battery, etc. I'm hoping the dealer can just re-flash the PCM back to stock?

Philth

Reaction score
You will probably have to send it to them to reset it. Happened with my PCM on my Trackhawk with my Livernois handheld. Bricked the PCM and had to send it in.

John Jensen

Reaction score
Curious. How does your tranny tune brick a PCM? My tranny tune only writes to the TCM, it doesn't write to the ECM/PCM,

392DCGC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You will probably have to send it to them to reset it. Happened with my PCM on my Trackhawk with my Livernois handheld. Bricked the PCM and had to send it in.
They haven't offered to do that. My guess is it actually isn't the PCM that's effected as I originally thought.
Curious. How does your tranny tune brick a PCM? My tranny tune only writes to the TCM, it doesn't write to the ECM/PCM,
The PG3 says it's writing to ECU, which I don't think it can actually do since it's locked down. Probably just dumb verbiage in its software. My dealer has said they are working on replacing the TCM, which I wasn't aware is integrated into the valve body of the trans - thought the ECU/PCM/TCM were all in the same unit under the hood.

So now, what I thought would be a simple software fix at the dealer, is involving them opening up the transmission to hopefully get my truck running again. Lovely!

Last edited:

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone dealt with PCM issues? I used an Alientech PG3 to tune my trans. I successfully flashed the transmission twice - once with the tune, then again back to stock. The third attempt was to apply the tune again, but after a few seconds, the write process errored out and seems to have corrupted my PCM. I am getting a U0101 code stating no data connection to the transmission control module, and the dash is full of errors.

The truck will not start, and I cannot write to the PCM anymore. I have tried clearing codes, pulling the battery, etc. I'm hoping the dealer can just re-flash the PCM back to stock?
Did you reach out to Alientech to see what they say? Maybe offer a solution?

Daverous

Reaction score
I've run into a tcm flash issue with the pg3 twice now. Both times it did a partial flash and then wouldn't complete a full flash due to "mismatch" with the ecu, which isn't the ecu, but you get the idea. Shut down the truck and couldn't drive it both times.

Hptuners can run a complete read/copy and flash from any stage, regardless of this mismatch. It's an expensive item, but has fixed my issues and leaves me with an option that's not the dealer. I'm not sure if this would help with your issue, but it's helped me. I simply made a backup copy of my tcm tune with hptuners and can overwrite from any stage. Saved my butt a few times now.

392DCGC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've run into a tcm flash issue with the pg3 twice now. Both times it did a partial flash and then wouldn't complete a full flash due to "mismatch" with the ecu, which isn't the ecu, but you get the idea. Shut down the truck and couldn't drive it both times.

Hptuners can run a complete read/copy and flash from any stage, regardless of this mismatch. It's an expensive item, but has fixed my issues and leaves me with an option that's not the dealer. I'm not sure if this would help with your issue, but it's helped me. I simply made a backup copy of my tcm tune with hptuners and can overwrite from any stage. Saved my butt a few times now.
I'm sure it would. Alientech got back with the tuner and said to update the device and try flashing again. Problem is my truck is already at the dealer pending TCM replacement under warranty. I'm not going to waltz in and ask to flash the truck considering they, as far as I know, have no idea it was the cause of all this and then I'm on the hook for a repair. Plus whatever fix Alientech is attempting may not even work.

Was an using an hptuner how you fixed your truck going dead in the past, or did you have it towed to the dealer like me?

Daverous

Reaction score
The first time I had it towed to the dealer.

While I waited without my truck at the house I figured I'd give hptuners a shot if there was a next time since it doesn't verify version matching between the pcm and tcm. So, the next two times it did it I ran the hptuners backup file I'd made. Resolved it both times. To say I'm not a huge fan of the pg3 as a tcm option would be an understatement. Sure it's worked fine for many folks, but it's also left me in a bind more than I think is reasonable. Could be my tuning package though! It's very specific about matching versions due to the epa demands.

392DCGC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The first time I had it towed to the dealer.

While I waited without my truck at the house I figured I'd give hptuners a shot if there was a next time since it doesn't verify version matching between the pcm and tcm. So, the next two times it did it I ran the hptuners backup file I'd made. Resolved it both times. To say I'm not a huge fan of the pg3 as a tcm option would be an understatement. Sure it's worked fine for many folks, but it's also left me in a bind more than I think is reasonable. Could be my tuning package though! It's very specific about matching versions due to the epa demands.
Thank you for the info. What did the dealer do the first time to fix it? TCM replacement or were they able to re-flash it? Mine did troubleshooting for 3 days before deciding on a replacement.

Daverous

Reaction score
They reflashed it and I was good except it didn't match my tune version for the pcm. I'm guessing you're on GDE with the pg3? I had to send mine back to them for pcm conflicts as well once my dealer flashed the tcm. Part of why I keep an hptuners backup for load failures.

392DCGC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
They reflashed it and I was good except it didn't match my tune version for the pcm. I'm guessing you're on GDE with the pg3? I had to send mine back to them for pcm conflicts as well once my dealer flashed the tcm. Part of why I keep an hptuners backup for load failures.
I was using EOC/MRT with just a trans tune. I didn't directly ask my dealer if they tried flashing the TCM. I assume they did during their days of troubleshooting, but I could be wrong.

Daverous

Reaction score
Must be their new process. I have their original tune and trans tune and at the time they required hptuners for the trans. That's how I ended up with hptuners before I made the switch to GDE.

I've never heard of a bricked tcm from a flash, but there's always a chance! Usually it's simply a corrupt file that can be resolved with a fresh flash.

392DCGC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Must be their new process. I have their original tune and trans tune and at the time they required hptuners for the trans. That's how I ended up with hptuners before I made the switch to GDE.

I've never heard of a bricked tcm from a flash, but there's always a chance! Usually it's simply a corrupt file that can be resolved with a fresh flash.
It is their new way of doing things so an expensive tuner doesn't need to be passed around or bought.

I'm not sure if the TCM is actually bricked. The code being thrown says there's no communication over canbus to the TCM which seems bad, and maybe that's why the dealer is replacing it. I'm curious if yours had the same code thrown after the flash failed?

Daverous

Reaction score
Yep, same code. Then when dealer flashed it didn't match my pcm tune version and I had to send it back.

Thing lit up like a Christmas tree and wouldn't shift to park unless I pulled the battery and reset it.

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
GDE states to Flash the TCM back to stock before going to the Dealer. If the dealer
Flashes the TCM for some reason, the TCM can be Bricked when you try to reflash
the tune.

Malodave

392DCGC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
GDE states to Flash the TCM back to stock before going to the Dealer. If the dealer
Flashes the TCM for some reason, the TCM can be Bricked when you try to reflash
the tune.

Malodave
The truck only had 5,000 miles and was never at the dealer before. This was purely the tool crapping out/not liking something about my truck on the 3rd flash.

Users who are viewing this thread