5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trans staying in 3rd longer than usual at stop when cold…

JayBee2019

Reaction score
Hey y’all,

Got an annoying issue with my trans. While I do see this happen sometimes when it’s at normal operating temperature, it’s most pronounced at the first couple to few stops when cold. The issue is when I come to a stop the trans stays in 3rd gear for about a second before dropping down to 1st. If I come to a stop when another vehicle has also come to a stop at the same intersection same time but I have right of way, that results in a quicker or more of a momentary stop. When that happens, my trans is still in 3rd and of course it’s hard to get going and it makes me look like I’m hesitating which on occasion has sent the signal to the other driver that I’ve yielded to them when I actually haven’t. Also, while all this is happening, when the trans finally downshifts to 1st, I basically jackrabbit through the intersection. Very irritating and a bit embarrassing. And all of this takes about a second or so. If I come to a stop and sit for a complete second, I can see it downshift to 1 from 3 and then it’ll be good to go with no issues. It’s when I have those momentary stops that this is an issue.

I’ve had the truck since 38,000 miles, has 95,000 miles on it now. Has done it since I first got it and it hasn’t gotten worse or better. Had the fluid changed (RAM service did it), didn’t result in any change.

Due to a job change I recently moved into the city, which has caused me to have more of those cold momentary stops and of course has become more annoying. So I’m more interested than ever to get this fixed.

I hope I’ve explained this clearly. Has anyone in here experienced this? If so what did you do to fix it? I used the search nothing seemed to be exactly like what I’m experiencing. Interested in your thoughts…Let me know. Thanks in advance! 🤙

Users who are viewing this thread

Back