5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trans. oil low?

jljbtm

Reaction score
My 2019 has 45,000ish miles and noticed when i get to the end of my road the stop sign is sort of on a hill and when i start from that stop sign i get a hesitation (seems like slippage) and its the only place it happens (on that little hill) I dont see any wetness under the truck. I called customer care because i dont have a dipstick and to ask when the oil needs to be changed and under normal use it never needs servicing, I was surprised! NEVER! Otherwise they said i would have to take it in to have the oil checked with special tool and that some Dealers charge a diagnostic fee, what a rip!

Thekidcasual

Reaction score
I hope someone knows how to check this.. I don’t have any issues with mine but I’d sure like to know just in case

Nukegm426

Reaction score
Bought a dipstick online for a durango we had a few years ago. Came with a chart that showed what level different transmissions needed to be based on fluid temp. That’s all they use basically. It’s not a full or empty it’s got measured gradations on it and you reference the chart. Cost about $20 on Amazon

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
File courtesy of @Neurobit

Interesting to note that the fluid is fluorescent. So break out the black light and hunt for leaks!

Attachments

• 21 - Transmission and Transfer Case_Automatic - 8HP75_FLUID and FILTER_Standard Procedure CHE...pdf
    6.6 KB · Views: 34

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The transmissions are really good, but they do have a specific and very different check and fluid change procedure compared to what we're used to with old transmissions. FCA says never need to change it under normal conditions, but that is not what the designer (ZF) of the transmissions says.

jljbtm

Reaction score
Right it has to be a certain temperature and i dont see a dipstick tube in my engine compartment either(unless its really hiding) but i believe it has a drain and fill plug like a manual transmission. I just think mine is a little low and want to check it. My 2005 Magnum with the same engine 5.7 but a Mercedes Trans. did not come with a dipstick either even my old 2011 Ram 1500 didnt have one.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don’t know the temperature offhand but checking the fluid level is simple. With the vehicle parked on level ground and the transmission is in the correct operating range you simply remove the fill plug on the side of the tranny and the fluid should just barely dribble out of the hole. Same procedure for all ZF 8HP transmissions.

Most manufacturers claim lifetime fluid nowadays to meet environmental restrictions and prevent customers from causing damage. As far as I am concerned, lifetime is longer than the warranty period so I plan on changing my fluid along with the filter (the entire tranny pan) at 100000km or 60k miles.

Here’s a video that just showed up in my recommended videos on YouTube.

You might also be experiencing the hill start assist feature where the brakes will be applied momentarily until the drivetrain picks up the slack and starts moving the vehicle forward.

Last edited:

jdefoe0424

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The OEM (FCA/Stellantis) claims it's lifetime, if you look up ZF service information it's 50-75k miles. It's not terribly hard, especially with our trucks having the temp gauge available right on the dash. The hardest part is probably making sure the truck is level.

I used AMSOIL in a BMW I had previously and will do the same with my RAM. If you're interested in AMSOIL let me know.

Users who are viewing this thread