5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trans getting hot and whining…

loudog3114

Reaction score
Well, it made it to Florida and back. So this is what happens, it's totally symptomless unless you do this: Drive on the highway at 75 for at least 15 minutes. The trans temp will slowly raise to at least 215. At around 195-200, the whine starts. Much more noticeable in the drivers seat on downshifts. At around 215 or so the electric cooling fan kicks on and stays on until you go slow enough for the trans to cool back to below 200. You can hear it from inside the cabin. Usually it takes getting off the highway to spin it back down. It sounds very clearly like bearing failure.

It actually sounds like it might be coming from under the hood. Is there a thermostat that opens around 190 to feed a belt driven transmission fluid pump for that trans fluid cooler? If that's what's failing or failed that would explain everything.

Scap

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The pump should be inside the transmission.

Mjgain

Reaction score
Correct. I tried to find the old diagram that I had, but I could not. The pump is chain driven by the input shaft, directly behind the torque converter. There is an internal thermostat that opens and the fluid gets pumped to the transmission oil cooler. It opens around 167 F (75 C). There may be an obstruction in the line creating increased velocity and thereby "noise". However, i would lean heavier towards the other posts--bearing / torque converter failure.

loudog3114

Reaction score
Its back at the dealer now. The service manager had me go out on a ride with a tech to verify the noise. When we got back the tech goes to the service manager "oh yeah, that thing is whining". So they're trying to further diagnose now.

The tech has been there ten years and hasn't run into this issue before. I dont expect to see my truck for some time...

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Its back at the dealer now. The service manager had me go out on a ride with a tech to verify the noise. When we got back the tech goes to the service manager "oh yeah, that thing is whining". So they're trying to further diagnose now.

The tech has been there ten years and hasn't run into this issue before. I dont expect to see my truck for some time...

That's a good tech.

loudog3114

Reaction score
Well there's nothing more they can do. They've inspected fluids and opened a case with Chrysler. With no signs of wear I'm just left to deal with it.

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well there's nothing more they can do. They've inspected fluids and opened a case with Chrysler. With no signs of wear I'm just left to deal with it.

Any chance you can get them to extend the warranty on the transmission? And, include a rental until the truck is fixed, should the tranny ever go out?

loudog3114

Reaction score
I bought an allstate bumper to bumper warranty with the car so its not an issue. I ended up pulling the active grill shutters, problem solved.

Users who are viewing this thread