5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trans failure on day one!

fixem39

Reaction score
Hello to all! I'm new to the site so I would ask for some grace as I don't know where to post. I am a new Ram buyer; I moved over from G.M. I bought a new 2024 Ram 2500 with Cummins. I have heard all positive about it being a workhorse. Well, just to cut to it, my Ram trans went out on my first drive from the dealership. It failed first day! It has now been at dealer for 3 weeks and I'm getting nowhere. They say a new trans is 2 weeks out and 3 other parts are on national back order with no E.T.A. The dealer has been so kind as to tell me that I can trade the truck back in at at a significant loss. They first promised to make it right, but now it seems that greed has set in. I don't want to give a dealer a bad review, but may have to....brothers, what should I do? I have thought of calling Manufacturer direct. My 388k G.M. is looking better and better!

Hello to all! I'm new to the site so I would ask for some grace as I don't know where to post. I am a new Ram buyer; I moved over from G.M. I bought a new 2024 Ram 2500 with Cummins. I have heard all positive about it being a workhorse. Well, just to cut to it, my Ram trans went out on my first drive from the dealership. It failed first day! It has now been at dealer for 3 weeks and I'm getting nowhere. They say a new trans is 2 weeks out and 3 other parts are on national back order with no E.T.A. The dealer has been so kind as to tell me that I can trade the truck back in at at a significant loss. They first promised to make it right, but now it seems that greed has set in. I don't want to give a dealer a bad review, but may have to....brothers, what should I do? I have thought of calling Manufacturer direct. My 388k G.M. is looking better and better!
Check your local lemon laws. And start using that info when dealing with the dealership. You should not be taking a loss on a brand new vehicle, and with the lemon laws, if you go into arbitration, you could actually come out ahead. Will need to find a lawyer versed in your states Lemon laws, as the particulars vary state by state.

While I am quite surprised at what happened, if its all as stated then for sure pursue the lemon law angle. For the dealer to tell you that (trade and loss) is very poor customer service and even worse marketing.

Maybe they are unaware that there are things called “social media” and “tv station consumer advocacy”.

I doubt the manufacture or lemon laws will help you. There is no guarantee a new vehicle will not break on the way home, but the manufacture is obligated to fix malfunctions covered under warranty and it sounds like that's what your dealer is doing. Most lemon laws require you give the dealer more than 1 opportunity to fix the issue . In Illinois the lemon law does not apply until 4 attempts to repair the same defect or if the repair takes longer than 30 days in the first year of ownership. Repairing your truck under warranty is how the dealer makes it right.

Actually, most lemon laws MAY require multiple attempts to fix an issue, OR the amount of time out of service. It's not both. The dealership will offer the trade in as a 1st step. Ignore that. The next step is to verify your state's lemon law guidelines and mention to the service manager that you may be taking that route. At that point, they may offer a buy back option.

If they do the buy back option, there are two ways to do that. One is to allow them to buy the vehicle back at the full cost you paid, plus in come cases, additional costs to you. The second part is a title swap where they locate a replacement vehicle and put all of your paid costs towards that truck, plus any additional costs the new truck has that the original didn't have.

I did the second buy back option on a 2015 Charger Scat Pack. The car was in service for an issue they couldn't resolve, for 34 days. They offered to buy it back, or replace. We found a 2017 Scat Pack with the exact same options as our 2015, but was a different color. We did the title swap where they just changed the VIN on my loan and we got a new car with no miles for the remaining loan amount of the 2015. We definitely benefitted from that deal.

I also had a bad 2018 Ford F150. Ford offered to allow me to trade it in, but at a loss. I declined, filed lemon law and won. They ended up buying me out on that truck.

I doubt the manufacture or lemon laws will help you. There is no guarantee a new vehicle will not break on the way home, but the manufacture is obligated to fix malfunctions covered under warranty and it sounds like that's what your dealer is doing. Most lemon laws require you give the dealer more than 1 opportunity to fix the issue . In Illinois the lemon law does not apply until 4 attempts to repair the same defect or if the repair takes longer than 30 days in the first year of ownership. Repairing your truck under warranty is how the dealer makes it right.
Most lemon laws include a time frame for vehicle being out of service, which is separate from number of attempts. Laws vary by states which is why he needs to look at the laws specific to his location.

I know for fact, since I had to use it, the California law is 30+ days at a dealership within the first year, and that does not have to be consecutive, but accumulative. I had a 2007 Dodge Caliber that got bought back by Dodge under Lemon law. Not because of a single issue, but becaus of multiple trips, for different issues, that added up to almost 3 months at the dealer within the first year

While I am quite surprised at what happened, if its all as stated then for sure pursue the lemon law angle. For the dealer to tell you that (trade and loss) is very poor customer service and even worse marketing.

Maybe they are unaware that there are things called “social media” and “tv station consumer advocacy”.
Most lemon laws include a time frame for vehicle being out of service, which is separate from number of attempts. Laws vary by states which is why he needs to look at the laws specific to his location.

I know for fact, since I had to use it, the California law is 30+ days at a dealership within the first year, and that does not have to be consecutive, but accumulative. I had a 2007 Dodge Caliber that got bought back by Dodge under Lemon law. Not because of a single issue, but becaus of multiple trips, for different issues, that added up to almost 3 months at the dealer within the first year
You are 100% accurate! I reminded them of this today....their suggestion was I lose 3k on my truck and trade for a higher truck as they had none that were like mine...oh yeah, they have one with a good bit of hail damage that I could've traded for.

Exactly, I'll give them a bit and then I'll share the dealer name. I really want them to do the right thing. I'm not asking for anything for free, just what I paid. If I trade for something else I should get my purchase price towards the next.

The 30 days is exactly what I'm referencing. Georgia requires 3 attempts in a year, unless the repair goes over 30 days. With it being there for 3 weeks already, then another 2 weeks for the transmission to come in, and compound that with 3 other components on national back order..as you can see it will be far past the 30 day requirement for Georgia Lemon Law. I understand the warranty process, I've bought several, but the same day? C'mon, that's nuts! A quality dealership should've said let's see what else you like, if there's a difference in price I would've gladly paid.

Actually, most lemon laws MAY require multiple attempts to fix an issue, OR the amount of time out of service. It's not both. The dealership will offer the trade in as a 1st step. Ignore that. The next step is to verify your state's lemon law guidelines and mention to the service manager that you may be taking that route. At that point, they may offer a buy back option.

If they do the buy back option, there are two ways to do that. One is to allow them to buy the vehicle back at the full cost you paid, plus in come cases, additional costs to you. The second part is a title swap where they locate a replacement vehicle and put all of your paid costs towards that truck, plus any additional costs the new truck has that the original didn't have.

I did the second buy back option on a 2015 Charger Scat Pack. The car was in service for an issue they couldn't resolve, for 34 days. They offered to buy it back, or replace. We found a 2017 Scat Pack with the exact same options as our 2015, but was a different color. We did the title swap where they just changed the VIN on my loan and we got a new car with no miles for the remaining loan amount of the 2015. We definitely benefitted from that deal.

I also had a bad 2018 Ford F150. Ford offered to allow me to trade it in, but at a loss. I declined, filed lemon law and won. They ended up buying me out on that truck.
Thank you sir!!! This seems to be a logical sequence, I've mentioned that I wouldn't mind paying any difference, but they want me to lose; that just doesn't sit well with me. I'll bring that up to the service manager and see about initiating the Lemon Law on day 30. Thanks!!!

Thank you sir!!! This seems to be a logical sequence, I've mentioned that I wouldn't mind paying any difference, but they want me to lose; that just doesn't sit well with me. I'll bring that up to the service manager and see about initiating the Lemon Law on day 30. Thanks!!!
If you are going to go the lemon law route I'd suggest talking to a local lawyer that specializes in lemon laws. Especially if the dealer is going to be a sick about it. You can actually get compensated for the time you were without the vehicle on top of full purchase price, and any sales tax/title/registration fees. And if they are a decent lawyer, they will take the case with no out of pocket expense of your own, as they will negotiate their fee into the settlement.

The 30 days is exactly what I'm referencing. Georgia requires 3 attempts in a year, unless the repair goes over 30 days. With it being there for 3 weeks already, then another 2 weeks for the transmission to come in, and compound that with 3 other components on national back order..as you can see it will be far past the 30 day requirement for Georgia Lemon Law. I understand the warranty process, I've bought several, but the same day? C'mon, that's nuts! A quality dealership should've said let's see what else you like, if there's a difference in price I would've gladly paid.

After it's been 30 days talk to an attorney. I don't know of any dealership that would just buy back your vehicle and take a loss unless the manufacture is going to cover the loss. This issue really has nothing to do with the dealership.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.
Back