5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trailer not connected

Rwinger

Reaction score
While towing 5th wheel trailer display says trailer not connected will then show trailer connected. How does brake module get the signal that trailer connected or not?

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
While towing 5th wheel trailer display says trailer not connected will then show trailer connected. How does brake module get the signal that trailer connected or not?

Welcome to the forums.

This has been covered a lot on here, cruise around the forums and you'll definitely find it.

The truck looks for the signal from the electric trailer brake wire of the 7 blade connector. If you're having an intermittent problem with the trailer being recognized, you probably have a bad connection somewhere in the adapter for your 5th wheel hitch. These trucks aren't designed for 5th wheel towing, and they don't come with a 5th wheel plug in the bed at all from the factory, so either you or a shop must have installed the adapter, correct? Also hopefully you're careful with your hitch weights and setup, most 5th wheels run well over what a typical half ton is rated for.

Toss your truck info in your sig, it helps when discussing things and asking questions on the forums, so people don't have to guess what truck / configuration you're running with. It's all in the details.

Johnvan

Reaction score
I had a similar problem. It was a loose wire on the trailer itself. Nothing to do with the truck in my case.
I had my wife sit in the truck and monitor the dashboard while I went and wiggled every potential loose connection starting from the truck and working back to the trailer axle.

Rwinger

Reaction score
Welcome to the forums.

This has been covered a lot on here, cruise around the forums and you'll definitely find it.

The truck looks for the signal from the electric trailer brake wire of the 7 blade connector. If you're having an intermittent problem with the trailer being recognized, you probably have a bad connection somewhere in the adapter for your 5th wheel hitch. These trucks aren't designed for 5th wheel towing, and they don't come with a 5th wheel plug in the bed at all from the factory, so either you or a shop must have installed the adapter, correct? Also hopefully you're careful with your hitch weights and setup, most 5th wheels run well over what a typical half ton is rated for.

Toss your truck info in your sig, it helps when discussing things and asking questions on the forums, so people don't have to guess what truck / configuration you're running with. It's all in the details.
Welcome to the forums.

Rwinger

Reaction score
Thanks for the info everything is factory. I was thinking it might be in the trailer my 08 Ram didn't have this much info so wouldn't know if it disconnected.

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for the info everything is factory. I was thinking it might be in the trailer my 08 Ram didn't have this much info so wouldn't know if it disconnected.

How are you plugging the trailer into the 7 blade plug on the truck? At the rear bumper? And not in the bed?

Rwinger

Reaction score
Truck is 2019 3500 4X4 SRW 6.7 Cummins HO Laramie Longhorn this was the first trip out so lots to learn.

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Truck is 2019 3500 4X4 SRW 6.7 Cummins HO Laramie Longhorn this was the first trip out so lots to learn.
plugging into the 7 pin plug in the bed

Gotcha, this is why that sig info is key, you're in the 1500 section of the forums.... The half ton trucks are A: completely different, and B: not built with 5th wheel towing in mind. The Heavy Duty's however, can be equipped with the 5th wheel prep from the factory.

Head over to the Heavy Duty section of this forum, https://5thgenrams.com/community/forums/5th-gen-hd-discussion.24/ or HDRams.com (the sister site to this site) https://www.hdrams.com/ for more info on your specific truck. The mechanics of your truck are also the same as the 4th gen heavy duty trucks as well, so you can search there for similar problems as well. https://5thgenrams.com/community/forums/4th-generation-rams.14/

However, the method of problem solving is going to be the same regardless. You need to determine if the connection is the problem, or if there's a wiring issue with either the trailer or truck side of things. From the sounds of it, I'd start with the trailer plug, then chase the wiring. Or, just bring it into the dealer and pay.

Rwinger

Reaction score
Gotcha, this is why that sig info is key, you're in the 1500 section of the forums.... The half ton trucks are A: completely different, and B: not built with 5th wheel towing in mind. The Heavy Duty's however, can be equipped with the 5th wheel prep from the factory.

Head over to the Heavy Duty section of this forum, https://5thgenrams.com/community/forums/5th-gen-hd-discussion.24/ or HDRams.com (the sister site to this site) https://www.hdrams.com/ for more info on your specific truck. The mechanics of your truck are also the same as the 4th gen heavy duty trucks as well, so you can search there for similar problems as well. https://5thgenrams.com/community/forums/4th-generation-rams.14/

However, the method of problem solving is going to be the same regardless. You need to determine if the connection is the problem, or if there's a wiring issue with either the trailer or truck side of things. From the sounds of it, I'd start with the trailer plug, then chase the wiring. Or, just bring it into the dealer and pay.
Thanks Took to dealer to have checked they said all is good with truck side now off to trouble shoot trailer.

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well hey, that's good (and important) info, lol.

For the plug on the trailer, usually they come apart with two screws, you can open it up and check for tightness of the terminal connections, loose terminals themselves, or water intrusion into the connection. I've replaced the wiring on almost every trailer I've bought, and I started learning the common symptoms of either old trailer wiring, or CHEAP trailer wiring, and they're all the same, lol. The plug and the wiring and jacketing are well worth the extra money for reputable, good quality parts, if you do have to replace it. I'd do that and check your ground wire to the trailer as well as any other visible exposed wire you can see underneath going to the brakes.

Users who are viewing this thread