5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trailer lights

Viper67

Reaction score
When I hooked up my trailer the brake lights and the blinker lights worked on the trailer. But when I turned on my truck lights I don’t think the trailer lights came on. I’m going to test it all later tonight. But has anyone had trailer light issues? 2019 1500 Laramie.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1stRamowner

Reaction score
I have the same issue, the fuses are good but no power on the running light wire in the 4 pin or the 7 pin connector, Did you figure this out? Thanks

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
When I hooked up my trailer the brake lights and the blinker lights worked on the trailer. But when I turned on my truck lights I don’t think the trailer lights came on. I’m going to test it all later tonight. But has anyone had trailer light issues? 2019 1500 Laramie.

I've had to move wires on older 7 pin trailer plugs to match up with the truck wiring. If they are correct, then I'd get power to the trailer running lights and check that next.

jlfkb2

Reaction score
I'm having the same problem on my 2019 1500 Big Horn. Fuses are all good. The trailer works as should on my F-150 4-pin, but only getting one brake light/turn signal on the RAM, and no running lights, rear or side markers. I saw one guy had to have Dodge find a short in the harness of the truck, but that's a lot of trouble shooting. Anyone figure out what's going on?

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am wondering if your 7 way plugs only engage the truck plug by about 1/16 of an inch. My GMC engaged about 3/8". ????

Sam_The_RAM_Man

Reaction score

Are you using your Tow/Haul Mode on the RAM?

Have you checked your fuses?

Worst case scenario, you may have a broken wire on the wiring harness going back to the trailer plug. If you’re under 3 years of ownership or 36,000 miles, it will be covered under your warranty if this is the case.

Attachments

• 8E0A93D4-15B8-443B-A860-B10789F9FBC3.png
    8E0A93D4-15B8-443B-A860-B10789F9FBC3.png
    327.3 KB · Views: 26
  • 94897275-72E9-46ED-9CAB-D9609504FB41.png
    94897275-72E9-46ED-9CAB-D9609504FB41.png
    370.9 KB · Views: 26

cj7

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My trailers’ running lights only come on when the truck headlights are on. Brakes and turn signals work as expected.

My trailers’ rear view cameras work off the running lights. Initially I had to drive with the headlights on all the time. Got tired of the dash being too dim during the day, so nstalled a waterproof switch on the trailers that powers the running lights from the +12v lead.

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My trailers’ running lights only come on when the truck headlights are on. Brakes and turn signals work as expected.

My trailers’ rear view cameras work off the running lights. Initially I had to drive with the headlights on all the time. Got tired of the dash being too dim during the day, so nstalled a waterproof switch on the trailers that powers the running lights from the +12v lead.
Trailer running lights are connected to the
RAM parking light circuit, not the daytime light circuit. Headlights or parking lights have to be on for the trailer clearance lights to illuminate.

Fkvt

Reaction score

Did you find a solution yet? My 2019 ram 1500 bighorn is doing the same thing. And I’m really getting tired of this.

Fkvt

Reaction score
Are you using your Tow/Haul Mode on the RAM?

Have you checked your fuses?

Worst case scenario, you may have a broken wire on the wiring harness going back to the trailer plug. If you’re under 3 years of ownership or 36,000 miles, it will be covered under your warranty if this is the case.
Is there a solution to this problem yet. My 1500 bighorn is doing the same dam thing.

Gitter

Reaction score
Is there a solution to this problem yet. My 1500 bighorn is doing the same dam thing.
Do your trailer lights turn on when the headlights or parking lights are on?

Fkvt

Reaction score
Do your trailer lights turn on when the headlights or parking lights are on?
No I only have brake lights and turn signals no running lights on while truck lights are on.

baccigalup

Reaction score
Wow. No solutions? Found this issue on my 2021 today....near as i can tell the fuse for the marker lights is optional and not there. I will check with dealer since i have the trailer tow package .

Users who are viewing this thread